Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting Skywatcher Auto Focuser? Mmm..NOT?

emadmoussa

Sorry to jump in here.

I just received an autofocuser from FLO (amazing service, ordered wednesday night).

I obviously haven't fitted it yet, but my thumb/fingers are already hating the knob on the handset to adjust speed. Has anyone changed it for a thumb screw or bigger knob? Is this possible?

Dan

P.s These instructions are ridiculous haha :p

I obviously haven't fitted it yet, but my thumb/fingers are already hating the knob on the handset to adjust speed. Has anyone changed it for a thumb screw or bigger knob? Is this possible?

Looking at mine I'd have thought fitting something like a 15mm diameter knob over the top of the existing control might work if you can find one for an appropriate diameter shaft. I've not tried it myself though.

James

Edited by JamesF

To be honest I don't adjust the speed that much, I put it on it's fastest for getting focus somewhere near, then pretty much the slowest for the rest of the time. The buttons get far more use.

• 2 years later...

Another twist on the SW auto-focus theme ... I busted mine again last night.  The wires that connect the battery lead to the circuit board are so flimsy that any heavy handedness changing the battery can dislodge one or both wires from the circuit board ... which is what happened to me last night.  I think it is a combination of a very tight battery compartment and flimsy wires.

This is the second time this fault has happened.  I don't know why a small clamp can't be used to hold the wires firmly on the circuit board as the glue that is used isn't up to the trick.  

I feel a bit of soldering and fixing coming on ... again :(

Pete

• Like 1

I have to say that my auto focus has been worth its wait in gold. Battery life is good. If your using it in the very cold use a duracell pp9.

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Another twist on the SW auto-focus theme ... I busted mine again last night.  The wires that connect the battery lead to the circuit board are so flimsy that any heavy handedness changing the battery can dislodge one or both wires from the circuit board ... which is what happened to me last night.  I think it is a combination of a very tight battery compartment and flimsy wires.

This is the second time this fault has happened.  I don't know why a small clamp can't be used to hold the wires firmly on the circuit board as the glue that is used isn't up to the trick.  

I feel a bit of soldering and fixing coming on ... again :(

Pete

This has happened to me numerous times now, I went out and brought a soldering iron to fix it which I have done about 3 times. In fact I ordered a new controller because the last time I thought it was fatal but managed to fix it while it was in transit so at least I have a spare now.

I found the focus controller ran down the 9v battery in a few days even when not in use.... the circuit board was drawing current from the battery constantly.

Fitting a small on/off switch in one of the battery wires fixed the problem.

• 5 years later...