Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting Skywatcher Auto Focuser? Mmm..NOT?

emadmoussa

The small drawback of having to wait a while for the motor to move the focuser large amounts is , I feel , more than outweighed by the vibration free focusing that it provides.

I have them on all my scopes , bar the ETX , and won't be removing them anytime soon , in fact I shall be getting another one soon for the Mak180 that's imminent.

The fact that they can be controlled via various USB gadgets is another plus , I use a controller on mine ( Homebrew) and the finesse of focus is a real benefit imaging wise.

I keep an allen key in my pocket(a few actually as I'm forever tightening things) and only tighten the screws once you get close to the focus you want and then have the motor focuser work. I can say for certain that on the wobbly EQ3-2 with the 150PL it is an extremely useful addition to my set up.

I've come across this on Ebay - but not sure if it's suitable. The only advantage it has, you can always unlock the clutch and use the manual focus right away. To be honest, I can't visualize this one on the SW 200p. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astro-Optics-Electric-Focuse-Motor-For-Telescope-Eyepiece-Focuser-/400418412521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3acc17e9

I can't remember if it came with a battery or not, but usually get a good few sessions out of them, I guess it depends quite a lot on how much you're changing targets and refocussing. I'd recommend a 'good' brand of battery though, I've had some supermarket cheap brands in the past that just dont last well, maybe it's the quality or the operating temperature.

Give FLO an email, I'm sure they'd be able to answer whether or not it comes with a battery, and what type of battery it uses :).

I've already done - but my question was about the cable? Which turned out to be RJ-9 :)

I just wanted to know the battery just order a pack along with the motor, but since it's an V9...well, then you can pick them up anywhere.

Edited by emadmoussa

Ah, well, if it's a common fault then my recommendation is to completely unscrew the back of the handset, fit the battery and then refit the back and battery cover before replacing the screws that hold the back on. Doing it that way allows you to fiddle with the wiring so it all fits neatly and to get the cover in place easily.

James

I'm not sure if you guys noticed this, but Skywatcher accessories seem like they were produced with the rough homeless astronomer in mind. Not to mention their horrible instruction manuals.

Some Chinese manufacturing has a long way to go in terms of quality control :(

James