NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter for viewing Jupiter

I have been enjoying observing Jupiter lately and have been wondering how I could tease out more detail. I can normally see at least 3 bands and some detail in the main bands, but is there any more potential using a filter? I've come across the Baader neodymium filter which seems to have good reviews, is this worth the money or are there any other good ones out there? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with all the replies above, I have had the Baader neo filter for 15 months and use it for planets and the moon, it's the only filter you will need for the solar system, it really teases the details out if Jupiter.

is it suitable in mid sized scopes? i've just read a review on a website of someone with an 8" dob saying it was useless and only benefits smaller scopes, i'm sure he must just have a bad set-up or something?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Mine just dropped through the door today, I bought it specifically to attempt to see the grs ....hope your reviewers are wrong.

sorry, I misread your comment. I have used mine in scopes from 90mm to 16" and the neodymium filter has worked in all of them on my usual targets for use - moon, jupiter, mars. ignore the reviewer unless he was referring to light pollution effects - I don't use mine for that, prefer to increase magnification a little instead.

sorry, I misread your comment. I have used mine in scopes from 90mm to 16" and the neodymium filter has worked in all of them on my usual targets for use - moon, jupiter, mars. ignore the reviewer unless he was referring to light pollution effects - I don't use mine for that, prefer to increase magnification a little instead.

is it not so good for light pollution then?

is it suitable in mid sized scopes? i've just read a review on a website of someone with an 8" dob saying it was useless and only benefits smaller scopes, i'm sure he must just have a bad set-up or something?

The Baader Neo works well in all telescope apertures, I have experience of 90mm to 200mm, all works well.

http://www.firstligh...oon-filter.html

This is what i use is in my C11.The Neo Baader

is ok for my 4" Refractor, but no good for the C11.

The image is to bright.This is a variable filter.

I use this for the moon & Juipter.This is just what

i have found.This is for visual only.For imaging

i use the Baader Neo

Steve..

http://www.firstligh...oon-filter.html

This is what i use is in my C11.The Neo Baader

is ok for my 4" Refractor, but no good for the C11.

The image is to bright.This is a variable filter.

I use this for the moon & Juipter.This is just what

i have found.This is for visual only.For imaging

i use the Baader Neo

Steve..

interesting.... i've got a variable moon filter, infact i think it's the same as the one you've linked to, i think i might give that a go before i get a neo.

I agree, if you have the other filter, try that first. personally though I never got on with moon filters.

re light pollution, I just don't use it for that and have never really tried. I use magnification and exit pupil to make the background darker if required.

It seems the Baader Neo is highly recommended for planetary viewing, however at around £50 I really can't afford one. Are there any cheaper, if maybe not as good, which would help in the meantime till finances allow? I have got the standard colour set that came with the scope but they won't fit my new eyepieces. If I were using the old plossls what colour would be best for the GRS. There's red, green, blue, yellow and a "moon" filter.

Thanks

Jason

Archived