Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SteelRat's Imaging Setup

SteelRat

My Tal1M came back home yesterday - yay :smiley: and I had a really nice evening watching Comet Holmes through the old gal. Still not up to shifting that heavy old mount around though, so for the time being...

...Tal1SLT! :shock:

2091_normal.jpeg

(click to pic to make big)

Really am dead chuffed to have this scope back :evil:

Matthew(SR)

That looks a lovely setup Matthew :smiley:

The SLT mount sits really well on that TAL tripod - I'd like one of those to put under my ED102SS !.

How tall is the tripod when extended ? (my back aches a bit with my AZ-3 as I have to stoop a bit :evil:)

John

Sturdy looking outfit SR. Stead as a Rock, SR. get it, Oh well never mind. :smiley: You said you are pleased to have it back. Where has it been?

Out on Loan somewhere? Or you flogged it, and bought it back.

Is this what you use in partership with your Phone?

Looks good enough to stand in the Lounge SR. Like a piece of furniture, but watch the little moggy doesn't make a bed in the tube :evil:

OK, I'm finished now. I've got my jacket on, wheres the door.?

Ron. :(

Cheers folks :)

Nice looking lightweight setup, great stuff :clouds1:

Very lightweight Gordon 8) The Tal pod is a great mod, but the long Tal tube is pushing the SLT mount to it's limits 'arm-flex-wise' :evil: Should be more than OK for my unconventional imaging this season though heheheh :). Definately going to build a bracket for the phone this time. Got my balsa ready - just need a new tube o superglue.

How tall is the tripod when extended?

It's listed as 140cm John, but that'd be standard and set up on hard ground. The spikes on the end of the legs sink into a lawn a good couple of inches. I take the spikes off mine for that Ash-on-Concrete feel :(

You said you are pleased to have it back. Where has it been?

Is this what you use in partership with your Phone?

Sold it to pay a bill just before my back-op Ron. The chap who had it now has a 6" Mak 8) and offered the Tal back to me before advertising - what a guy :thumbleft: I use my phone with whatever I have :smiley: Got a few phone pics I was happy with from this scope back in Jan/Feb - here's a couple;

post-13013-133877333024_thumb.jpg

post-13013-133877333029_thumb.jpg

Aye!, your phone images are stuff of legend now Matt. I think that thoughtful guy who contacted you before advertising, deserves a gong for his consideration. :smiley: He obviously was sympathetic towards you, concerning the reason you had to sell it. Very thoughtfful of him. The country could do with a lot more people like him. Good for the soul stories like that.

Ron. :evil:

Yeah.... Welcome home, Tal 1 !!!

Bl**dy great, solid, wee scopes.

Spookily, i just aquired an SLT mount lately. Been using my wee Ruski Mak's on it so far. Hadn't even considered the longer Tal tubes. You've screwed a dovetail onto the tube??

Cheers,

Andy.

Yeah.... Welcome home, Tal 1 !!!

Heheheh - Yay! :thumbright:

You've screwed a dovetail onto the tube??

Yup - bolted my old Stellarview dovetail to it. Was gonna use tube rings (probably the best thing to do to a 130SLT cause there's a heck of a lot of wobble caused by the flex in the tube body) but as I didn't have any and the Tal tube is good and rigid I went in with the drill (sorry scope :smiley: ) Might put some rings on when I find some cheap. I reckon a Tal120'd work a bit better with this mount being shorter - but I really d0 love this little 110mm :evil:

Cheers mate

Matthew(SR)

Cheers gents :(

Had a really nice couple of hours earlier this evening with my Tal1SLTT - yup Tony, y'right mate :evil:

Gotta say, GOTO is pretty ACE 8) I used to enjoy 'the hunt' and the satisfaction after locating a new smudge in the sky, but the 'finderscope-contortion-routine' just ain't gonna work with my back for a while.

The focuser on my old Tal is very smooth. That combined with the rigidity of the tripod and the zero tube flex at the dovetail really does make this setup a joy to use :) No shake while focusing (not with MY hands anyway :clouds1: ) And you JUST KNOW the views are superb fer a little un 8) I reckon I might just have a look at the moon in a mo :smiley::clouds1:

Anyhoo - thanks f'the nice comments all :)

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

Ps. I'm sure the mount is now a tad quieter when slewing than it was on it's standard tube legged tripod - didn't even think about that when I decided to swap the pod but... bonus eh? :clouds1:

Archived