Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon atlas?

Thanks guys

I don't have an iPad but i would certainly be interested in having a good moon atlas on my computer, so i'll be looking in to that option thanks. What i would really like though is a very good print atlas to use 'out in the field' .... Something that is detailed and durable .... I have been drooling over the 2004 edition of the Antonin Rukl moon atlas but the most price-friendly that i've came across so far is about £70 .... Much more than the wife is ever going to let me spend on a book!!!

So any other thoughts, suggestions, advice for what might be best would be very appreciated,

many thanks,

Donaldo

I like the Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas along with Virtual Moon Atlas.

I use exactly the same.

The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas is just packed full of amazing images of the moon, really is a beautiful book although its too nice to use outside next to the scope for me.

I would thoroughly recommend the Hatfield Lunar Atlas http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hatfield-Lunar-Atlas-Digitally-Re-Mastered/dp/1461454980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361102268&sr=1-1

Not only does is give you photographic and drawn maps, but it also has the bonus of giving you the same area under different libration and lighting conditions. The scale of the atlas should suit your scope brilliantly.

Hi Donaldo,

I think I've just got the thing for you. It's a virtual moon Atlas freeware that enables you scan each inch of the lunar surface and also gives you information on each part. Not to mention writing your own notes inside the software itself.

You can set your location and time of the month to explore the moon. Here's the software Link: http://sourceforge.n...oon/?source=dlp

And Here are some screenshots:

post-27451-0-92979700-1361103032_thumb.j

post-27451-0-48916600-1361103150_thumb.j

Thanks lads ... I've gone for a virtual moon atlas and i came across a wee handbook of small telescope maps of the moon (A 6 inch lunar atlas: A pocket field guide), looks quite handy. One day i will get the Rukl ... Looking forward to really exploring and photographing the moon ....

Thanks again :grin:

If you have an ipad then there is a great app called Moon HD. I love it plenty of detail in it.

I've found Moon Globe HD if that's what you mean? (Actually I just got Moon Globe since the non-HD version is free :)) Looks really useful, thanks! :D

Archived