Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Holmes Comet shot

Can't see a thing from here. Is this a naked eye object at the present time. For those with clear sky that is.

I take it that is a star at almost 12 o clock KK?.

Does not appear to have much of a nucleus this comet.

Ron. :smiley:

After seeing the Maxim effort that Eddie did, I thought I'd better have a play. This appears to have extracted detail from the halo, but it could all be processing artefact, I really don't know. Here's the image for your perusal and please feel free to comment. Same as before with a 3 degree rotational gradient process in Maxim.

2081_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Kaptain Kletsov

Interesting details KK.

Will have another go myself tonight to get some nucleus detail.

There is a filter ( Larson - Sekanina ?) which highlights radial comet detail. This filter is available in MaximDL and AstroArt4.

John

Interesting details KK.

Will have another go myself tonight to get some nucleus detail.

There is a filter ( Larson - Sekanina ?) which highlights radial comet detail. This filter is available in MaximDL and AstroArt4.

John

Thats on the same processing option thingy as what I did. I didn't get any detail out of the image using the Larson Sekanina process so I must have been doing it wrong. I've just had another play with random button mashing and its gone all wierd.

2095_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'd love to know how to work this processing technique, as well as what its showing up.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Now thats Odd KK!

I'd love to know what it actually shows, there is quite a lot of detail there - it's just working out whats what!

Looks a little like a face in the middle there :smiley:

JCM is right, Aliens!

Ant

Hi Kaptain

In MaximDL try the following:

Larson-Sekanina filter

Angle: 10.00

Rotation Center - click Set (and tick the Use centroid box if not already ticked)

Click the mouse on the centre brightness of the nucleus

That's it. I suspect you did something very similar as you have got a good result.

You can play around with the Rotation Angle but for each new try I think you will have to reset the centre point of the nucleus (the filter works on the basis that the brightest part is at the centre - eg. where you click)

Hope that makes sense

Eddie

Tried that Eddie, but it gave me a poor result. It looks like its rotating both ways judging by the way the star trails show up. The detail just isn't there using those settings, in fact the middle is devoid of detail. The one I did had the rotation set to 3 degrees with the click on the middle and centroid set as per your advice. Does that mean anything? I'm not at all familiar with this processing technique as I just pinched it off what it said on your website and Pete L's post.

Kaptain Klevtsov (standing on the shoulders of giants, again)

Archived