Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What should I be able to see?

Ok, so I have had my first proper scope for a couple of weeks now, and I love it! I've had it out a few times, have observed the moon a lot, Venus at various stages too (cool to be able to see the moons in different positions). I have seen other cool stuff too, but couldn't for the life of me tell you what it is, and that's with the help of Stellarium. The scope is a Skywatcher Explorer 130P, I am pretty much limited to 2 viewing sites, one with light pollution pretty much in the middle of a small town, another pretty much a dark sky. So, assuming decent viewing conditions (and knowing where to look), what can I expect to see with my scope? Andromeda? Triangulum galaxy? The Sombrero galaxy? Great nebula in orion? As you may have guessed, I am a serious newbie. I've spent hours out, just moving the scope around and seeing what I can spot, but it would be nice to know where my expectations should lie. Thanks for any advice

Hello :),

You will certainly be able to see andromeda and orions nebula! I have struggled with the triangulum galaxy in my 200p. I think it relies on very dark skies and good conditions tbh.

Have you got the book 'turn left at orion'? I haven't myself but I hear nothing but good things about it, maybe worth a purchase :)

Dan

From your dark site you should be able to see most if not all of the Messier objects. From your location you may struggle with a few in the south. As you have seen there is plenty of interest in the solar system, just wait until you see Saturn.

A good beginners guide is Turn Left at Orion which covers about 100 objects, season by season, showing you how to find them, what you can expect to see and a brief description of what you are looking at.

Thanks Dan. It's good to know that it is worth persevering with the likes of Andromeda.

I have got Turn Left at Orion on my Kindle, but I'm thinking it will be a lot more useful as a hard copy so will likely be getting it soon.

Even in a few short weeks my knowledge of the sky has improved dramatically and I'm now able to recognise start patterns and generally find my way around the basics, which isn't bad for someone who weeks ago was pretty much limited to recognising the moon and the sun..... so hopefully if I stick at it I'll have a few WOW moments (I'm easily wowed, Jupiter was a big wow.)

Thanks Alan. I can't wait for Saturn and the other planets, I just wish we could fast-forward their orbits like in Stellarium. A good thing to come from amateur astronomy so far is I am being forced (begrudgingly!) to learn patience...

Turn Left at Orion is excellent value at under £20. Not a coffee table book but a very useful guide to what to look at, how to find it and what its likely to look like when you find it through binoculars, a small scope and a large scope.

I have managed to spot Triangulum through tripod mounted 11x80mm Binoculars but never through either of my telescopes, its quite dim !

Agree with comments above. M31 and M42 should be easy. M104, the Sombrero is a bit harder to find but still shows up quite nicely (though not like the photographs). M33 in Triangulum will show up as a large feint hazy smudge in any reasonable night sky. Might be beyond a town sky though!

I have a similar sized scope in semi-rural skies and have seen over 250 deep sky objects to date. There are many more that are possible too although I must point out that many of these are not much to look at and may be very dim and / or very small.

If I had a quid for every hour I've spent looking for M33 and failed I'd have, er, well about a tenner.

That's with a 6in f6 newtonian in various sky conditions :(

I'm hoping to get that scope out of mothballs and up to my rural site in Cumbria. It gets lovely and dark there but if I ever find the main fuse for Penrith....

If I had a quid for every hour I've spent looking for M33 and failed I'd have, er, well about a tenner.

That's with a 6in f6 newtonian in various sky conditions :(

I'm hoping to get that scope out of mothballs and up to my rural site in Cumbria. It gets lovely and dark there but if I ever find the main fuse for Penrith....

If anything, i'd say it is easier in binoculars. It can be a very large soft haze in a scope and there is the potential to see straight through it.

Have to agree with hard copy of Turn Left at Orion, worth every penny. If I can get Andromeda in my old 114mm tasco you should have no bother with your 130p. You'll just need to get out earlyish as its out west and getting lower as the nights draw out. Good luck - and its worth it when you find it! :grin:

Wait for Saturn. Could not sleep a while back got up around 4.30 got out the bins through the window. Fired up starwalk to see what was about.

Still in the pjs out the front door with sw200p.

SATURN a must see 30 mins or so. Back in doors. Scope left blocking the front door back to bed all without waking the wife.

Funny thing I went to bed before she did the evening before. That wasn't there when I went to bed was it. came the comment when she got up.

It was worth the creeping about.

Might be worth also getting a copy of the Phillips guide to the Night Sky (by the Late Sir Patrick Moore)...this will show you all the constellations, and how to recognise and then star hop from one to the other. I found that using book that first with binoculars, then allowed me to understand where in the night sky I needed to look for certain objects. And agree on Andromeda...I could see that in those binoculars....again some of the clusters, and prominent features are in the guide as well...and for £4.95 its a good read..

Regards

Archived