NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first prom

JamesF

My PST arrived from FLO earlier this week and having spent several days thoroughly investigating how it worked and briefly checking the image out whilst holding the scope in my hands during a brightish period yesterday, today I bolted a length of dovetail to the bottom and put it on my AZ3 to try it out properly though the conditions were still far from ideal.

I passed on the included eyepiece and went straight for a 13mm Nagler which showed me a very nice size full disc image when I'd found the Sun using the little built-in finder. I had to tweak the focus to get a clear image and then by twisting the tuning ring right to the end of its travel I could just begin to make out a large prom on the north-western limb. I adjusted the turning ring around a few holes in the etalon and that allowed me to get the prom beautifully sharp. By rotating the etalon I was also able to see the sunspots and faculae as well as the granulation of the surface of the sun.

That was pretty much all I had time for, but I'm very pleased with my new toy and look forward to getting better views with it another day.

James

I keep toying with the notion of heading down the Ha road myself , after trying a Lunt60 at Kelling last year . . .

Unfortunately the funds aren't there for 'luxuries' at the moment , but it's an itch that'll need scratching one day I suspect . . . :rolleyes:

My PST arrived from FLO earlier this week and having spent several days thoroughly investigating how it worked and briefly checking the image out whilst holding the scope in my hands during a brightish period yesterday, today I bolted a length of dovetail to the bottom and put it on my AZ3 to try it out properly though the conditions were still far from ideal.

I passed on the included eyepiece and went straight for a 13mm Nagler which showed me a very nice size full disc image when I'd found the Sun using the little built-in finder. I had to tweak the focus to get a clear image and then by twisting the tuning ring right to the end of its travel I could just begin to make out a large prom on the north-western limb. I adjusted the turning ring around a few holes in the etalon and that allowed me to get the prom beautifully sharp. By rotating the etalon I was also able to see the sunspots and faculae as well as the granulation of the surface of the sun.

That was pretty much all I had time for, but I'm very pleased with my new toy and look forward to getting better views with it another day.

James

Aren't they just great..! Unfortunately I can see these bargain PST's leading down the road to an expensive addiction .. :rolleyes::eek:

I keep toying with the notion of heading down the Ha road myself , after trying a Lunt60 at Kelling last year . . .

Unfortunately the funds aren't there for 'luxuries' at the moment , but it's an itch that'll need scratching one day I suspect . . . :rolleyes:

If FLO hadn't offered a couple at a significant discount because they had a manufacturing fault I wouldn't have one either, to be honest.

James

Aren't they just great..! Unfortunately I can see these bargain PST's leading down the road to an expensive addiction .. :rolleyes::eek:

Yes :) I've looked at pictures of Montana's kit before now and thought "What?! Three solar scopes?" All of a sudden that seems perfectly reasonable :)

James

Yes :) I've looked at pictures of Montana's kit before now and thought "What?! Three solar scopes?" All of a sudden that seems perfectly reasonable :)

James

Perfectly reasonable!!!!! Have you seen the price of Alexandras kit.

I've got the same itch Steve. Must be contagious.

I'm selling some of my photography gear so I can scratch it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my PST for Xmas and finally had a sunny day today to try it out. I was amazed as it far better than I thought it would be. I think it has some sort of time portal fitted though as I was outside nearly 3 hours

and it only felt like 10 minutes!

Excellent :) I was considering spending lunchtime doing a bit of solar observing and imaging today, but although it was sunny the sky was very hazy all day. Sun is forecast tomorrow for a while, after a morning of fog, so perhaps I'll get a chance then.

James

Lost a few hours yesterday with the pst too.. fantastic. I also tried to image, first with the Costar which is 1.25" so will drop right down into the eyepiece holder, but it's too sensitive. Then tried the SPC900. Had to remove the top of the eyepiece holder & lucky it was a still day so it just held in place with the nosepiece/IR filter. Managed to focus on sunspots but no chance on the edge for a prom. Bit different from DSO imaging. :huh:

Hmmm. I wonder if it's worth having a go at imaging with my Lifecam? That's in a 1.25" eyepiece barrel so would drop in nicely.

From your testing do you have an idea of where the focal plane is on the PST? Inside the eyepiece holder, or about flush with the top?

James

Its supposed to be 5mm above the holder but I reckon I was getting abetter result in slightly further. It's very difficult to judge though, the focusing is quite coarse compared to the imaging fracs. Very frustrating not being able to use a bahtinov !! :shocked:

Disappointingly even the Lifecam Studio only has a 1/4" (or thereabouts) sensor. For a moment I was thinking that one of the Lifecams might make a cheap low-end substitute for a DMK41 :) Nowhere near big enough though.

James

Archived