Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars...any point?

long_arms

Hello,

I have loved the views through my 200p of jupiter and recently saturn.

I just looked outside and realised in an hour or so I think I could point my scope in mars' direction.

However looking at the apparent diameter of the planet it is only 0.04"! This time last year it was 0.14" ish I think. Its not going to reach that in 2013 whatsoever.

My question is quite simply, at 0.04" and after sunset...any point in observing and imaging?

Have a look at my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90652641@N04/) this is what I get with my 200p and stock barlow. Is mars going to just look like a star?

Thanks,

Dan

Darn, thankfully there is not a shortage of things to see before mars is back around!

If I can ever be bothered to set it up at this time I may have a peek for the sake of it anyway.

It will not look much bigger than the GRS so you will not see too much detail !!

Wow that really puts 0.04" into perspective aha!!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Some really nice images in the flickr album and good to see what can be produced with the same equipment I'm using (something to aim for anyway!).

I think the next good oppurtunity for mars is 5 years hence:

• Dec. 24, 2007 – 88.2 million km (54.8 million miles)
  • Jan. 29, 2010 – 99.3 million km (61.7 million miles)
  • Mar. 03, 2012 – 100.7 million km (62.6 million miles)
  • Apr. 08, 2014 – 92.4 million km (57.4 million miles)
  • May. 22, 2016 – 75.3 million km (46.8 million miles)
  • Jul. 27. 2018 – 57.6 million km (35.8 million miles)
  • Oct. 13, 2020 – 62.1 million km (38.6 million miles)

Source Universetoday.com

Otherwise I think the options are limited to a 5x or stacked barlow or buying a nice big long refractor. Still got to be worth a go and will look forward to seeing some images!

Any opposition's a good time relatively speaking though. Indeed the 2018 opposition actually looks awful for us in Britain as Mars will only rise about 12 degrees above the horizon!

Thanks Catab, I was going to look at this is Stellarium tonight but now I'm just too depressed :(

• 3 weeks later...

Any opposition's a good time relatively speaking though. Indeed the 2018 opposition actually looks awful for us in Britain as Mars will only rise about 12 degrees above the horizon!

The closest oppositions are always in the summer so if you really want to get a good view of Mars then going into the southern hemisphere is the best option.

Archived