Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

long_arms

Mars...any point?

Hello,

I have loved the views through my 200p of jupiter and recently saturn.

I just looked outside and realised in an hour or so I think I could point my scope in mars' direction.

However looking at the apparent diameter of the planet it is only 0.04"! This time last year it was 0.14" ish I think. Its not going to reach that in 2013 whatsoever.

My question is quite simply, at 0.04" and after sunset...any point in observing and imaging?

Have a look at my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90652641@N04/) this is what I get with my 200p and stock barlow. Is mars going to just look like a star?

Thanks,

Dan

In a word, no. You might just get the tiniest hint of some sort of detail but I doubt it. Better to wait until back around again.

It will not look much bigger than the GRS so you will not see too much detail !!

Darn, thankfully there is not a shortage of things to see before mars is back around!

If I can ever be bothered to set it up at this time I may have a peek for the sake of it anyway.

It will not look much bigger than the GRS so you will not see too much detail !!

Wow that really puts 0.04" into perspective aha!!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Some really nice images in the flickr album and good to see what can be produced with the same equipment I'm using (something to aim for anyway!).

I think the next good oppurtunity for mars is 5 years hence:

• Dec. 24, 2007 – 88.2 million km (54.8 million miles)
  • Jan. 29, 2010 – 99.3 million km (61.7 million miles)
  • Mar. 03, 2012 – 100.7 million km (62.6 million miles)
  • Apr. 08, 2014 – 92.4 million km (57.4 million miles)
  • May. 22, 2016 – 75.3 million km (46.8 million miles)
  • Jul. 27. 2018 – 57.6 million km (35.8 million miles)
  • Oct. 13, 2020 – 62.1 million km (38.6 million miles)

Source Universetoday.com

Otherwise I think the options are limited to a 5x or stacked barlow or buying a nice big long refractor. Still got to be worth a go and will look forward to seeing some images!

• Like 1

Thanks very much!

Those stats are awesome, 2018 should be a good year then!

Dan

Yeah, fingers crossed then that 2018 doesn't prove to be the wettest/cloudiest on record!

Any opposition's a good time relatively speaking though. Indeed the 2018 opposition actually looks awful for us in Britain as Mars will only rise about 12 degrees above the horizon!

Any opposition's a good time relatively speaking though. Indeed the 2018 opposition actually looks awful for us in Britain as Mars will only rise about 12 degrees above the horizon!

Thanks Catab, I was going to look at this is Stellarium tonight but now I'm just too depressed :(

I have yet to view Mars in my 4inch mak but probably best I keep my expectations low when I finally get the chance. :smiley:

The closest oppositions are always in the summer so if you really want to get a good view of Mars then going into the southern hemisphere is the best option.

Mars is currently 4" not 0.04" - even Hubble couldn't see any detail at 0.04" ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cosmic Geoff
      I imaged Jupiter, Saturn and Mars this morning around 3.30am in the interval between 'high enough' and dawn.  Equipment: CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC. Captured with Sharpcap, processed with Registax6. Used best 20% of 5000 frame videos.
      It's so long since I did any planetary imaging that I had to re-learn what to do. The Jupiter and Saturn images seem under-exposed.

• By Victor Boesen
      Yesterday I managed to climb out of bed at a little past 3:30AM to get my small portable rig out to a small nearby park and setup to observe Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. I got the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro last summer so I was especially excited to see how it would perform on Mars because of its red wavelengths which many small fracs often have trouble with handling.
      At first it was partly cloudy but I persisted and was out and setup on the field at around 4AM. The sky was already surprisingly bright here in Denmark but Jupiter was shining bright and Saturn faintly visible almost right besides Jupiter. Fortunately for me it wasn't too cold, but I was happy I brought some gloves anyways;)

This picture was taken at 5AM while I was observing Mars.
      I remember from last year that my scope didn't perform great on Jupiter for some reason, and the view of the gas giant wasn't anything different this time either. Using my 4.7mm ES 82 degree eyepiece not much detail visible except the two main bands and its moons. I would later return to Jupiter after the scope had cooled down a little and the view was perhaps a little sharper.
      Pointing the scope at Saturn, which I was very satisfied with last year, I was amazed of the detail the small scope managed to squeeze out. It doesn't compare to the view I had last year with my 10" dob under great conditions at 255X but I was able to easily spot surface banding on the planet itself, and the Cassini division was also surprisingly stable. I really enjoy the stable and consistent view through the small refractor! I observed Saturn for quite a while until I eventually set out to try to find Mars. At this point I couldn't even see Saturn with the naked eye but I was fortunate that Saturn and Mars were approximately the same elevation above the horizon.
      After a few sweeps across where I though Mars would be I finally located the small red speckle, this time with my 6.7mm eyepiece so I had a larger FOV. Switching to the 4.7mm, though still very small, I was surprised that I could pick up a dark surface marking across the disk on the lower southern half of the disk. Furthermore, the southern polar cap was really pronounced and you couldn't miss it. I watched Mars drift through the FOV until about 30 minutes after sunrise where the contrast between the planet and the sky became too low and the dew started to set on the lens element.
      Using my small refractor for observing the planets I have always wanted to magnify things a little bit more, and I think the telescope would have no problem doing so. A Nagler zoom 3-6mm has been on my wish-list for a couple of years now, but the upcoming planet season really makes me want to find one second hand
      Here's a video I've made that covers what I've written above with some footage I tried capturing through the eyepiece:
      I hope everyone on here is still doing well despite the current situation!
      Clear skies!
      Victor
    • By spaceman_spiff
      This is a re-processed image from some videos I recorded on a trip to Somerset in 2018 during the Mars Opposition. Unfortunately, I lost the exact day of the recording. Telescope: Skymax 150 Maksutov with a TeleVue 2x Barlow. Focal length was approximately 3600mm. Camera: Canon 550D unmodified at ISO 200 with 1/60 exposure. Video was recorded in 640x480 crop mode at 60fps. Processing: Video formatting, quality control and centralising done using Pipp, stacking and tweaking done using Registax.
    • By mikeyscope
      This planetary grouping from 20th March around 5.30am shows Saturn to the left with conjunction of Jupiter above & Mars below, sharp eyed may also see...  Io, Ganymede & Callisto in a string just right of Jupiter.
      Image taken from Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire looking toward the SE.
      Pentax K1 / Pentax 67  165mm lens / Exp. 2 secs @f8 / iso 200
      Ioptron tracker at siderial.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.