Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone dealt with overseas sellers on ABS

symesie04

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with overseas sellers on ABS. I have a dilema, last year at Astrofest astrotrac late in the day were doing a deal of astrotrac and polar scope for £400 (wish i had gone for it). Im hoping they will do the same this year but obviously there is every possibility they will not so its a risk. On the other hand there is a overseas seller selling his used astrotrac with scope for £350, he seems very genuine and on the straight. However dealing with overseas sellers makes me nervous to say the least. Has anyone any experience with private overseas sellers?.

I don't see why you should be anymore cautious with OS sales than you would with local ones. I say that of course as an OS member but for the most part the same cautions should apply.

See if you can speak on the phone and organise what you want like paypal not as a gift etc, check his ad history to see what they have sold before.

Quiz the guy and see if he is active on any forums, even international ones. Ask about shipping and see if they will photograph the packing for you so you know what state it was in when it left.

For me all the UK members are private OS sellers and all I can hope for is that they can trust me.

At the end of the day though go with your gut, if it doesn't feel right then don't risk it.

As an overseas seller and buyer I do find it frustrating at times the fear that is sometimes put into people's minds about us folks outside of the UK. If you treat all sellers the same, whether in UK or abroad it really shouldn't be an issue. Postage costs are generally the issue for buyers or sellers outside of the UK.

I haven't bought from abroad, but have sold abroad.

The gentleman I dealt with, from Sewden, was on the ball with everything. Communication good, money arrived when he said it would etc. he had to trust me that I would send the scope and we are talking four figures...

So I think you cannot rule people out just because they are abroad, but build up a conversation and then go on a gut feeling.

Ant

I have bought from Paulo and can confirm he is an exemplary seller. He will email you photos of the package at the Post Office and tracking numbers.

Have a look at the number of archived ads he has........don't worry, he is the real deal and the scope should be as described.

Thank you all, very usefull advice.

By the way I didnt mean to offend in any way its just that I have always been advised to beware of overseas sellers due to scams. I really dont think this is a indication of people from abroad in anyway just simply that its probably easier to scam someone abroad due to difficulty in tracing. Im sure there are some u.k residents that prey upon foreign buyers.

Thanks Space Dragon exactly the advice i was looking for ;)

I have in the past dealt with private sales through the USA CN forum before I became a member of SGL, if the seller is prepared to post over seas, there were no problems at all, but that was back when the £ was worth in and around the 2$ mark :)

John.

I am an over seas seller and I buy a fair bit of gear too, but I am English, I never had any problems selling to England or receiving from. I did have a bad time with with one other sale to a country other than UK. I would not sell to anyone other than UK in future. I don't know if that helps a great deal.

Alan.

Archived