Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Josh, welcome to SGL. I'm very definitely not an equipment snob, but Seben are not well thought of in the world of astronomy.

I'd forget the high magnifications mentioned in your link, 350x, 234x, 175x are too ambitious for a 76mm reflector, especially on a light tripod.

Maybe up to 100 - 120x could be ok, you can see a lot at those magnifications, better to have a smaller and sharper image than a bigger fuzzier one.

Could you stretch just a little on your budget ?

See what others say, not just me.

Regards, Ed.

Welcome to SGL , I have to agree with ED , Seben scopes don't get good feedback on SGL as long as I've been a member , you could consider other options like http://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-76-mini-dobsonian.html or even a http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-skyhawk-1145p.html if the budget will allow

Hi Josh, I have to agree with the others, this telescope is poor quality and it would be a mistake to go for it, no matter how many 'freebies' it comes with, most of these come with any telescope anyway. I also dislike sellers who give their reviewers gifts for writing a good review about the telescope, one reviewer even admits it. Stay away and look at the sponsors website FLO, link by clicking their icon at the top of this page.

Welcome to SGL , I have to agree with ED , Seben scopes don't get good feedback on SGL as long as I've been a member , you could consider other options like http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html or even a http://www.firstligh...hawk-1145p.html if the budget will allow

Hi Josh & welcome to SGL.

I would go for the second option on cosmojaydee's recommendation, always worth paying a bit more for optical equipment.

Having had a bad experience with a poor telescope it would be worth the extra money.

Find an Astronomy group near you if you can & have a look through their scopes.

Welcome to SGL. I'm going along with everyone else. The Seben could be a big mistake. A bad scope could put you off forever, as it nearly did with me when I was younger. I saved and saved and saved my pocket money, took me about a year, and bought a Tasco refractor. I used it (or tried to) about 5 times and then didn't use a telescope again for about 12 years! If saving means you'll have to wait, then do it - it'll be worth it in the end!

Welcome to the madhouse josh ,

You will get good advice on here .

I personally know nothing about seben scopes but the general consensus on the site seems to be stay away . I'm sure some people have had no problems with one but in astro gear like anything else you do get what you pay for .

Perhaps research a bit more on here , maybe email the sponsors FLO and chat to them , you will get a prompt reply from them .

If you can maybe save some more cash then that would help to get a better scope , decent ones can be had if you know where to look :)

I personally have not used that 'scope, but I would be more inclined to trust it than your previous plan. I'm sure someone on here has used it. You might want to put out a specific thread regarding that scope? That way, you might attract the attention of someone who has actually used one, rather than just people like me who are guessing :D

That's annoying lol. I always seem to get no reply when I really need the help, but when I'm just lightly enquiring I can't read the replies fast enough! I can try and help you from here. About your budget. How concrete is it, and why? Have you looked into second hand scopes? I'm on my fifth scope, fourth mount and who knows how much other tat, and some of the very best bits have been used and loved before arriving with me. Have you looked at UK Astrobuysell, for example? As to the scope you're looking at, I know that Celestron's optics are highly regarded when talking about larger scopes. One would hope that they extend the same levels of quality assurance to their smaller stock, yet I feel this is probably optimistic. For a first scope, a Celestron or SkyWatcher (very similar low down) will most likely be a good choice, but I would still urge a little patience if you can save up for a larger budget. I seem to remember the SkyWatcher 130PM and the corresponding Celestron Astromaster 130's being somewhere between £100 and £150, maybe less if you go second hand.

Badgerchap is correct about Celestron or Skywatcher for a first scope. However, If you can expand your budget just a wee bit more, you can get a real nice break into the hobby. It's amazing what a few hundred pounds can get you these days.

Stay as far away from seben scopes as possible!!!!! i've read countless reviews by people who've been duped into buying one of these awful contraptions, the advertising spiel is absolute tosh, the magnifications they advertise are laughable to say the least, I own a 200mm scope (nearly 3 times the size) & 350x would be pushing mine in all but the very best seeing conditions, as for been capable of astrophotography, I cant believe they get away will telling such complete, blatant lies (the mount is the most important thing in AP & the sebens doesnt look as if it can withstand a flea's worth of extra weight never mind a DSLR camera). I'm astounded they are allowed to advertise in such a way :eek::mad: There may be a few accessories that come with the thing, but they are all substandard & would make poor xmas cracker gifts!!!

I may be ranting a little here, but Astronomy is an exteremly rewarding hobby which, given patience & research will reap rewards that will keep you hooked for a lifetime. Its companies such as seben that can ruin that prospect & put someone off the hobby for life & it annoys me intensely!!

If money is tight then why not buy yourself a nice pair of binoculars & a copy of 'Turn left at Orion'. Together these will give you a good knowledge of the nightsky, give you some very nice wide views of whats 'up there' & hopefully keep your interest long enough to save up for a good quality small scope such as the Skywatcher 130p. Also if there are any clubs near to you then pop along & i'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to give you good advice & a look through their scopes so you have a good idea of what a real telescope can do and what it should look like.

Good luck with whichever direction you decide to take.

Steve

You see I do know my way round the sky already quite well, and have done some binocular work before... I want to ugrade to scope..

Ah in that case, i've sent you a msg which u can access at the top right of the page (envelope icon)

Steve

I was just about to post that you should look for a SW explorer 130 second hand, great scope but I never got on with the mount, if you were closer I'd sell you mine.Great little scope that will get you hooked..

is it the 130p or the 130m with a drive for tracking you are looking at?

Its actually mine ( hope its allowed as the OP hasnt reached 50 posts yet, if its against the rules then apologies to the mods & i'll withdraw the offer) Its the 130m on the EQ2 although i've sold the motor as I was going to keep the OTA cos its a great grab & go but I now need the funds for a canon (body only) EOS 350D if anyone would like to swap :grin: ( it has the flexible slo/mo controls though) also i'm keeping the ep's as the scope i've just bought was 2nd hand & came without them, the Skywatcher25mm is around £14 new & IMHO the stock 10mm & barlow that came with it are awful. I'm offering it to the OP with a brand new bahtinov mask & a homemade solar filter (Baader solar film which is £25 per A4 sheet) its got the original Red dot finder, all boxes,manuals,reciepts. I bought it in Oct of last year & only used it a handful of times due to the poxy weather of late and i selling due to upgrading to the 200p/EQ5.

IMO I think its a fair price as its in great condition & its a fantastic scope for starting out with. All opinions are very welcome as I dont want to overcharge for it, I havnt put it on ABS yet as I thought I'd give someone on here a chance first.

Steve

Archived