Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher 200

blackout

hi guys, didnt buy the skywatcher explorer 200. not yet anyway. got to surfing the web and found a 200 with a skywatcher crayford dual 10 : 1 focuser.

at the same price as a normall 200, question is do i buy a normall one with the extras what you get with it ( barlow x2 and a couple of eps ) or do i buy the one with the 10 : 1 focuser, you only get a 28mm let lens and nothing else, get back to me please, they both run at aprox £415 delivered

I believe the Explorer 200PDS is a slightly shorter length and secondary mirror is offset towards the focuser, optimised for prime focus photography. Its still good for visual and the 10:1 Crayford is better than the standard single speed Crayford on the 200P. At this price I'd take the 200PDS as the focuser upgrade would set you back far more than the barlow, 10mm and 25mm lens.

Where have you seen it listed at this price? It might be a mistake by the vendor as this is pretty much standard new price for the Exp 200P/EQ5 Deluxe bundle. The Exp 200P DS OTA retails around £ 319 on its own and is usually bundled with the better HEQ5 mounts. The 200P OTA retails around £ 250 on its own.

Jake

It all depends what you intend to use it for, visual , photography? I assume that the bundle will be for the OTA and EQ5 rather than HE5pro . For visuals only I would go Dob, forget the mount. For Astrophotography you will need at least HEQ5pro if your thinking about this seriously. the 200P DS and HEQ5pro is a great starter kit for Astrophotography , in my opinion a little OTT just for visual

Another thing to throw into play.

The general comments are the stock 25mm EP is good.

The 10mm sometimes rubbish, sometimes acceptable.

The barlow is OK but nothing special.

You can often find these (or similar) for sale by people who have upgraded.

Hope this helps more than confuses, David.

cant afford the 200pds/heq5 even though i would rather have one. so its the ordinary 200p/eq5, im just wanting to know if im better off with a 10:1 dual crayford with no extra eps/barlow. or is the standard focuser with the extra eps and barlow the better deal

I agree with David above regarding the 'standard' eyepieces etc that come with the kit are nothing special and so I would easily 'trade' them in for the focuser, which although not essential, it is a nice luxury to have for observing. BST brand of eyepieces are about £50 a piece if you are looking for an alternative to what is normally included to give you some idea of comparative pricing. The thing is you will most certainly upgrade from the standard eyepieces at some point so I would choose to do that from the beginning given that the initial budget can be used toward the 10:1 focuser.

Clear skies

James

http://discounteddigital.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1887

it is a 200p with eq5 from discount digital. £419 plus £3 delivery, have a quick look and get back to me cheers

Hmmm, wonder if this is a new model Exp 200P and Skywatcher/Synta are abandoning the single speed crayford?

For my money this looks better value than the standard 200P/EQ5 bundle - though you would probably want to purchase a 2" to 1.25" adaptor/extension, 2 x barlow and perhaps a 16mm 1.25" EP (Barlowed would give you 8mm).

Not ever dealt with Discount Digital, so unsure how they are rated as a supplier. Can anyone else offer any comment on them?

The picture on their website is definitely of the 200PDS on an EQ5. Seems an odd combination, but they're not the only ones selling it. The others I've found seem to be around £180 more though. I don't see a similar difference in the prices of their other scopes, so I think it's probably a pricing error.

I think the quality of the shorter focal length eyepiece and the barlow are quite variable and it's not uncommon for them to be replaced reasonably quickly, so I don't think you'd be losing a huge amount by going for the PDS.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived