Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good 32mm eyepiece for under about £50

I'm probably going to get an 8mm bst starguider for high mag and wait to see if I have an old tal Barlow in my box at home. But I would also like a 32mm eyepiece, I may well have a 25mm with the new scope so don't really want to go with a 30mm bst, but bst don't do a 32mm and its a good excuse to try another manufacturers EP.

So your thoughts please.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, if you have not got your new scope yet I would wait and use the 25mm ep that comes with it, they are usually better than what you think they are going to be. Otherwise a 32mm plossl is a good choice, either the Revelation or the Celestron plossl's are good and usually under £50.

The other is the 30mm Vixen plossl, not quite 32mm.

One thing abiout mixing eyepieces is that something like the BST Starguiders are fairly close to parfocal when you mix them this is lost, and a 25mm Starguider will give the same field of view as a 30/32 plossl.

A Plössl at that focal length will be fine, the eye relief will be comfortable and it will be fairly sharp. Doesn't really matter what brand either, although the GSO / Revelation 32mm gets good press here.

Parfocal usually refers to a specific range, the BST EDs are apparently near parfocal (only require a slight tweak of focus), but it doesn't really bother me having to change focus between eyepieces, of course, that's personal choice :). Some eyepieces have completely different focal points, for instance my Meade is almost all the way out of my focusser, and my 4mm EP is much further in.

was just having a quick look on line, the gso`s ....2 inch 30mm,42mm or 50mm £50.99 or 32mm 1.25 ....for £34, personally i`d spent the extra on the 2".....you may be able to find them cheaper i only had a quick look.

do you have a link? The 2" occurred to me but I couldn't find any anywhere.

To be honest, if you're going to spend £50 on a 2" 30mm you may as well go UWA and hunt down a MoonFish (or clone) for about £60.

80 degrees of FOV and a lot better performance than it should be for the price at f6 and slower.

would that be second hand or new? if new do you have a link?

To be honest, if you're going to spend £50 on a 2" 30mm you may as well go UWA and hunt down a MoonFish (or clone) for about £60.

80 degrees of FOV and a lot better performance than it should be for the price at f6 and slower.

how would it perform at f5?

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/eyepieces/GSO/revelation/plossl-eyepieces/plossl-eyepiece.html

thats the one i found but there out of stock, i`ll have another look, mine is the "superview" 2" 30mm gso not sure if this is the same or not, i use a 10" skywatcher dob at f4.7 and quite happy with it think they give 70 degree fov, i say i`m happy with it but never tried and more expensive ep`s, but others seem to rate them as well.

theres a used one on ebay £35

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gso-sv-30mm-2-Eyepiece-/170976682254?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item27cf01210e#ht_38wt_1170

as i said quite happy with it but at f4.7 gets slightly blurry at outer edge, but nothing 2 bad and for the price i`d stll recommend then, the one on the bay is a superview same as the one i have.

Archived