Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good 32mm eyepiece for under about £50

There seems to me to be a lot of 'clone' products in astronomy from my first impression. I guess someone comes up with a good design and then licences it to other people to put their name on. However does this generally mean all 'clone' products are good or do you really need to work on a product by product basis? I'm thinking the latter, but I'd be very interested to hear the views of those with more experience and knowledge.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of clones about. Re-branding is very common and can lead to confusion, especially as the prices charged for what seem to be identical products are not always consistent !

What look like identical products can have small differences in quality and finish which will affect their ultimate performance. The quality of coatings used on the lenses, the quality of internal blackening to control light scatter, the amount of quality testing during production etc, etc. Not easy to detect for the consumer though.

A big volume, big name, brand could insist on the highest quality units, leaving the rest for lesser known brands or to be sold unbranded.

There seems to me to be a lot of 'clone' products in astronomy from my first impression. I guess someone comes up with a good design and then licences it to other people to put their name on. However does this generally mean all 'clone' products are good or do you really need to work on a product by product basis? I'm thinking the latter, but I'd be very interested to hear the views of those with more experience and knowledge.

Far as i know, they ALL come from the same factory and individual companies stamp their own name on them and sell them for all about the same price.

There are a lot of clones about. Re-branding is very common and can lead to confusion, especially as the prices charged for what seem to be identical products are not always consistent !

What look like identical products can have small differences in quality and finish which will affect their ultimate performance. The quality of coatings used on the lenses, the quality of internal blackening to control light scatter, the amount of quality testing during production etc, etc. Not easy to detect for the consumer though.

A big volume, big name, brand could insist on the highest quality units, leaving the rest for lesser known brands or to be sold unbranded.

So a factory will make a load of lens and obviously there will be some variation in the quality of those lenses, the better brands will say we are willing to pay more for each lens but we want the pick of the crop.

Is that what you're saying?

My most used eyepiece - I always start out with it - is a 32mm Televue Plossl. However, this is now ridiculously expensive and I would suggest that you stick with the 25mm for now and save your money towards a better high or medium mag eyepiece.

My most used eyepiece - I always start out with it - is a 32mm Televue Plossl. However, this is now ridiculously expensive and I would suggest that you stick with the 25mm for now and save your money towards a better high or medium mag eyepiece.

Yes, I'm holding off for the moment until my scope arrives as I'm not sure if it includes an eyepiece (my fault for not checking) or not. If it does have a 25mm then I may be better off with a mid power and high power initially and then go for a 32mm after that.

Well holding off didn't last long! :grin: I've just bought a tele vue plossl 32mm second hand. I think my other choice will be a 8mm bst and a mid-range EP will have to wait a little while.

Well holding off didn't last long! :grin: I've just bought a tele vue plossl 32mm second hand. I think my other choice will be a 8mm bst and a mid-range EP will have to wait a little while.

I knew that one wouldn't last long.

:grin: I hope I made a good choice.

Put it this way, I've never seen a complaint about a TV eyepiece that isn't price related. Actually, I have, a 10mm Radian that michael.h.f.wilkinson compared to a Pentax XF (8.5mm), and the only thing he disliked was the slight yellow tint of the Radian. I'll try and find the review for you.

Here it is:

http://stargazerslou...pite-lazy-wind/ and

Put it this way, I've never seen a complaint about a TV eyepiece that isn't price related. Actually, I have, a 10mm Radian that michael.h.f.wilkinson compared to a Pentax XF (8.5mm), and the only thing he disliked was the slight yellow tint of the Radian. I'll try and find the review for you.

Here it is:

http://stargazerslou...pite-lazy-wind/ and

http://stargazerslou...n-8mm-and-10mm/

thanks for that. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

I've jjust read back through the thread and noticed this. What a massive coincidence!

I did a calculation and worked out the maximum exit pupil I could use (over 40 years of age) and found that with my scope it was 25mm Would have been a waste of time buying larger. Older Newbies might be in the same boat as me.

Archived