NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new telescope

blackout

hi guys, im new to this , but i have been wanting a telescope for a while now, and im just about to take the plunge, its a toss up between the skywatcher 127 goto, or an explorer 200p with eq5, just wanting your thoughts on which will be best. im leaning towards the explorer 200 as i can upgrade the eq5 to goto later on if i want.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 200 will let you see more. wouldn't worry avout goto. the eq5 with the 200 on is close to the limit but its a very smooth motion and a joy to use. my first scope was the same, it is big but worth the space it takes up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

cheers uht, just needed somone to confirm my toughts. its a bit worrying thinking this is gonna be my first scope. but ive got to start somwhere, and to buy a smaller scope knowing ill want to upgrade later, sounds like a waste of money to me,

Hi blackout, and welcome to SGL. The 200P will give you better views of DSO's for sure, and if you aren't too bothered about GOTO, it's the better choice. Like UHF says though, the 200P is getting towards the limit on a EQ5, but to be honest, I've never had a problem with this for visual, and all seems to run smoothly.

Hi and welcome,

I've got the 200p eq5 and think its great. one thing i'd suggest is that you allow for the purchase of a telrad/rigel finder. it really does make finding dso's a lot easier.

Scott

thanks all for the warm welcome.. when i purchase the 200/eq5, would it be in my best interest to upgrade the 10mm ep you get with it, to a good 8mm/10mm ep . ive read a few articals on these eps you get with the scope and the 10mm ep sounds as if its no good, i dont want to be dissapointed. if this is the case what make and what size would be best.

1 more quick question..... on the eq5, is it worth buying a polar scope with it, or leave that untill ive had a few sight seeing nights with it, ( point and look ) i dont want to start off in astronomy with all the setting up issues ive read about, or is it better to start off in the correct way and start as you mean to go on.

Archived