NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Addiction is it?

emadmoussa

Is it normal wanting to get all the kit you can have while you are still trying to find your way in the sky.??

I keep browsing the web looking for accessories that might help...loads of great stuff out there, and a lot of useless kit...mmmm, this will be cool to have and that will help..but do I really need all that at the moment? Shouldn't one get a good hang of they already own and then move on to the next step...?? It is an expensive hobby if you let it control you, isn't it?! :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I know that feeling, I started out with a skywatcher 130m thinking it'll keep me happy for at least a year!! Yeah right, been on SGL (although very informative & helping me out no end wih problems i'v encountered over the last few months), your constantly seeing new kit, ep's & just stuff you 'need', i've spent over £800 snce I bought my scope last Oct & yesterday picked up my new 200p/eq5......Luckily been a chef i'm able to eat at work which cuts down on the food bills, my sons at an age where he can clean chimneys & my girlfriends daughter is the same age so she'll be out selling pegs soon!! As for my girlfriend, i'm trying to convince her that 2 weeks in a tent up the road will be much more rewarding & character building than a fortnight in a 5* hotel been pampered & laying on the beach all day.....She is yet to be convinced!!! Joking aside tho, YES it's a very expensive & addictive hobby but soooo worthwhile.

Steve

LOL, yes, Steve...it'll do camping down the road.

Speaking of expensive, I noticed you own a modded XBox cam. May I ask, I'm a bit baffled about how you guys do this with an Xbox cam. How do you modify it and what you can actually achieve?

Having spent a fortune on a guide scope and an axis motor, I'll do with a cheap cam.

Imad

LOL, yes, Steve...it'll do camping down the road.

Speaking of expensive, I noticed you own a modded XBox cam. May I ask, I'm a bit baffled about how you guys do this with an Xbox cam. How do you modify it and what you can actually achieve?

Having spent a fortune on a guide scope and an axis motor, I'll do with a cheap cam.

Imad

The Xbox cam is easy peasy (and I say that as someone whose totally useless with diy 'anything') all u do to it is open it up break the 4 led's & take the lense off, I taped the aluminium sleeve from an old 10mm ep on it so it goes in the scope (for a better lesson read this VERY long tho :eek:http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/131246-xbox-livecam-mod-cliff/) its proccesed the usual way with registax & the avi is taken using Sharpcap) Its a really cheap way of geting started with AP & the results are this

post-26695-0-36852600-1356463171_thumb.p obviously a better webcam will get u better results but for less than a fiver its a great thing to try. pm me if u decide to give it a go & run into any probs.

Steve

its only gonna cost a fortune if you want it too..like fishing one rod, one reel thats it..hmmm look at that new rod,look at that reel etc,etc..

I agree - I think I'm done with the basic accessories...all I need is a cheap cam for guiding and basic imaging.

Thanks Steve, I guess I'll go with the XBox option - it seems simple to implement. Do you think if you have a better quality webcam, say HD webcam, will this give you better results?

Afraid i'm not sure on that one (i'm not very tech minded) I do know that there are better cams to do it with, one of the most popular is the philipsSPC900nc BUT they'r discontinued altho they come up for sale quite frequently on astro buy, sell & on here but they'r around £70. Best thing to do is post a question in the imaging section.I just got the Xbox cam as its damn cheap, very easy to mod & easy'ish' to use. I think modding the higher end cams would be trickier plus your looking at quite a bit of cash if i goes wrong.

Steve

lol, very funny thread but completely true. I only bought my first scope in October last year, got myself totally engrossed (read obsessed) with this hobby. Dispite the fact I was 49 before I bought my first scope, I have been into astronomy since my early childhood. (I remmeber the first Moon landings, apollo missions etc) and it just took me some time to buy into it.

But them BOY did I buy into it. I wont bore you all with my catalogue of purchases (and sales) but I have spent far too much and had th taxman, and my own work endeavours not been so frutful, there is no way I would have got where I am.

I am now happy with what I have, lol yeah right. Currently looking at the SkyQ wieless controller as another add on bit. I am a sucker for techie stuff and although it dosn't go with some of the more mature/seasoned astronomers, its is the future.

Anyway, still noreplies on my SkyQ enquiry, and maybe I dont really need it. Pfft, I still think I want it though :evil:

Baz

I've spent nearly 5000 in my first year :-(

I love it and want (and seem to get) more than I should....I really must pay this mortgage off first but it's such an addiction!!

David

Mortgage?? Buy a big enough scope & you can live in that!! Get some dew heaters & hey presto-central heating. :grin:

lol, very funny thread but completely true. I only bought my first scope in October last year, got myself totally engrossed (read obsessed) with this hobby. Dispite the fact I was 49 before I bought my first scope, I have been into astronomy since my early childhood. (I remmeber the first Moon landings, apollo missions etc) and it just took me some time to buy into it.

But them BOY did I buy into it. I wont bore you all with my catalogue of purchases (and sales) but I have spent far too much and had th taxman, and my own work endeavours not been so frutful, there is no way I would have got where I am.

I am now happy with what I have, lol yeah right. Currently looking at the SkyQ wieless controller as another add on bit. I am a sucker for techie stuff and although it dosn't go with some of the more mature/seasoned astronomers, its is the future.

Anyway, still noreplies on my SkyQ enquiry, and maybe I dont really need it. Pfft, I still think I want it though evil.gif

Baz

You may not want to hear this Baz but my mates just got it for his scope & says its fantastic!! Not sure of the details or anything about it myself though.

Steve

Archived