How big is this telescope?

I'm narrowing down the choices for my first scope. At the moment I'm considering a Skyliner-250PX Dobsonian. OF all the descriptions I've read of it, the technical data doesn't think of mentioning its physical size- or is it that these facts might put someone off?

I have on my patio a sturdy plastic toolshed, 6 feet tall, and I would consider locking it away in this if it is too large to haul in and out of a small bedroom. Would keeping it unheated in outdoors type relative humidity harm it? Am I being a complete tool?

Dumonster

well.... 250px is a fairly good size. assembled and scope pointing up it stands about 5 feet and something tall.the base is 2 feet. I can manage to lug it around on my own if wife is not in the mood to assist me :D

P.S. my feet measurements are taken based on that i have a shoe size 11.

as soon as your shed is nice and dry and there are no leakages you should be perfectly fine by storing it outside,provided you have some sort of nice cozy cover for the tube to prevent dust etc coming in and landing on the mirrors.

The flextube version by comparison is a little over three feet tall when collapsed.

Keeping it in a shed should be fine, and potentially advantageous because it will be cooled down when you want to use it. You just need to keep the damp off it.

James

You'll get very much similar views from the excellent and manageable 200 Skyliner. You can spend the rest on eps, Cheshire , warm socks and drink.

If you do keep it outdoors then I'd get a reptile heating pad for the primary. Even in my shed temperature fluctuation will bring insidious dew on the mirror, that's why they're all roasty toasty with their 4 and 5 Watt heaters and I'm like a lollipop,

nick.

For some reason they all look small in the photos. We need more shops to include people in the pictures to give some idea of scale.

James

Agreed! I picked up my Skywatcher 200p/EQ5 yesterday & although I'd seen plenty of pics of it, seeing it in the 'flesh' is another thing, its huge!! much bigger than my 130mm AND twice as heavy (although the weight is all in the mount head)

Archived