NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First GRS with SPC900 - 11-Jan-13

ilove1995

Hi all, just thought I would add a little something to this conversation. Although the SPC900 is truely a great camera for planetry use I found its cost was crazy with people charging nearly £90 for essentially second hand goods. So I spent a long time looking and found the Creative Live Cam VF-0060 (now be carefull there are lots of cameras in teh range and only a few have the right spec) This camera is USB2 (yes real USB2) and has a 640 x 480 CCD sensor full product number is 73VF006000000. For comparison I have posted below a picture taken with the webcam and a SW150PL, sorry for posting in someone elses thread but I get really anoyed when I see profitering just because astronomers have so few choices. Also I have found this camera is still freely available from international suppliers although it is dicontinued in the UK.

Capture%201_1_2013%207_50_14%20PM2.jpg

That looks to be a very promising webcam, particularly as you managed to get all that using a SW150pl.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's looking pretty good. Did you do an RGB align in Registax?

James

I stacked with AS!2 and have no idea if that was the default setting, I used this stacking software because I was soooo frustrated with Registax freezing on me all the time. >_>

I stacked with AS!2 and have no idea if that was the default setting, I used this stacking software because I was soooo frustrated with Registax freezing on me all the time. >_>

Presumably you applied wavelets using Registax though?

James

Both good webcam pictures better than what I've managed & I agree about being sick of people profiteering with the SPC's as there's one on eBay with a buy it now price of £150!!!

Presumably you applied wavelets using Registax though?

James

Yes wavelets in Registax, then a tiny tweek in photoshop. I still can't believe I managed to get such a detailed jupiter just by using these new settings for the webcam, awesome! :rolleyes:

I agree about being sick of people profiteering with the SPC's as there's one on eBay with a buy it now price of £150!!!

No-one has to buy it at that price though, and given that the ASI120MC cameras can be had for less than £180 I can't imagine why anyone would. If buyers act sensibly then the vendor will either have to keep it or drop the price.

James

Yes wavelets in Registax, then a tiny tweek in photoshop. I still can't believe I managed to get such a detailed jupiter just by using these new settings for the webcam, awesome! :rolleyes:

In the Registax wavelets screen there's an option "RGB Align". I'd give that a try as well.

James

No-one has to buy it at that price though, and given that the ASI120MC cameras can be had for less than £180 I can't imagine why anyone would. If buyers act sensibly then the vendor will either have to keep it or drop the price.

What sensor does the new Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV use? Possibly it's the same sensor used in the ASI120MC? (can anyone confirm that?) It's only £80 new, so you would be bonkers to spend twice that on a second hand webcam with USB1 and 5 year old sensor technology. They work well, but they've had their day IMHO. Camera technology moves quickly..

What sensor does the new Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV use? Possibly it's the same sensor used in the ASI120MC? (can anyone confirm that?) It's only £80 new, so you would be bonkers to spend twice that on a second hand webcam with USB1 and 5 year old sensor technology. They work well, but they've had their day IMHO. Camera technology moves quickly..

I don't know what the Orion camera uses. I've not been able to find the details anywhere. I don't think it's the same as the ASI120MC, but there are so many sensor variations now that it's hard to keep track. It looks like the pixel sizes and dynamic ranges are different, but that relies on them being reported accurately.

James

The Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager iv uses a Micron CMOS mi1310 sensor.

I bought one to use with my macbook which it works fine with. To be honest I've not used it that much and prefer using the spc900 with Sharpcap now that i have switched to a windows netbook.

I'm probably not doing it justice as I knew very little about imaging when I was using it and struggled with the stacking software (Lynkeos).

I've attached one of the few images I took with the Orion camera. I think the camera is capable of a lot more and when the skies clear again (about to chuck it down with snow here) I will give it a go using AMCap on windows and stack it with Registax.

If your interested in seeing the results let me know and I'll start another thread as soon as I get an opportunity to use it again.

Al

Jupiter by George-1.tiff

I think it's well worth posting some comparisons of the two cameras. Even if it's only with a single scope it gives others who might be considering a purchase a little more information about what they're getting for their money.

James

Both good webcam pictures better than what I've managed & I agree about being sick of people profiteering with the SPC's as there's one on eBay with a buy it now price of £150!!!

There have been a couple of SPC900's going for £40 on UKAB&S recently, I got one not long ago for that price from the classifieds on SGL, so no need to pay mental prices, just play the waiting game :undecided:

Archived