newie

ruthg33

hi, all im new to all this excitement. I was bought a TA800x80 reflecting telescope for my birthday and am starting to use it. It all seems very confusing at the moment. I did try to look at the planet Jupiter and think I saw two planets or stars either side of it???

Any tips for a new beginner????

Many thanks

ruth

Welcome to SGL.

If you saw what appear to be two very bright stars close to Jupiter then they are almost certain to be a couple of the four large "Galilean" moons -- Io, Europa, Callisto and Ganymede. In fact, when they're suitably aligned, you should be able to see them all.

James

Hi Ruth and welcome to SGL,

Sounds like you are finding you way around already - definitely worth installing stellarium, really useful app to show you what's available when the sky clears and it will certainly help you choose the best targets and find you way there. Loads of advice within this forum and very friendly and don't forget Star Gazing Live on BBC2 at the mo.

Clear Skies - Jake

Hi Ruth , what a great start! I'm a newbie too , I use stellarium and go skywatch on my iPad which I take into the garden with me . I wrap up warm , sit down and first locate planet/object with binos then use the scope . Basically it's just getting out there and enjoying it , good luck kevin

Hi Ruth and welcome to the forum. Looks like you discovering some great targets and would also recommend download Stellarium as it will help you find more objects and also help you identify those that you discover along the way. Look forward to reading about your next discoveries, maybe something we haven't seen yet!

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Ruth and welcome to SGL, you might like some reading matter to go along with Stellarium, the most popular book is "Turn Left at Orion", it will ease you through the basic stages with your telescope, then provide you with directions on how to find interesting objects to observe in the Constellations throughout the year, the book is available from good high street book shops, or through big online sellers, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived