Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

c9.25 or c11

cosmicdonkey

hi fellow imagers :) just a quick question really. I am about to purchase a cgem c9.25 which i have had my eyes on for quite a while now but before i do i have to listen to the voice in the back of my head that says " buy the c11" to most it seems like a no brainer the plantary images should be better with the c11. what is stopping me though is as the years go on i would like to add refractor to the top of the scope for deep space imaging and a small guide scope.

My question is could the cgem mount support the above additions aswell as holding the c11 or would that be pushing it to far??

Also the scope would be kept in the house so will require lifting out into the garden for use. Is the c11 going to be a pain to carry in and out??

Thanks in advance for any answers. I really dont want to think at a later date that i should of bought the bigger scope.I currently own a skymax 127 so i know both would be a huge upgrade for imaging.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be aware the C9.25 is the odd one out in the series. It doesn't fit neatly between the C-8 and C-11 as you might imagine. In fact it's about the size of the C-11. It's a slightly different design than the others and so is longer and about the same length as the C-11. However it benefits from being less sensitive to collimation problems and better for certain astro photography applications. If you google 'c9.25 vs c11' you will find lots of information about this online.

In the end I saved some money and went for the C9.25 (the C-11 wasn't worth the extra money IMHO). I also had a Mak127 before. At first the C9.25 seems massive! But once you get used to it the Mak seems like a little baby..

I think the C9.25/C11 are on the limit of portability. You'll need to assemble them on the mount each time you want to use them. The mount and scope together is too much for one person to manage. In fact I normally take off the counter weights too so making it a 3 x trip to setup the scope.

I have been asking myself the same question and I'm just about sold on the C11 with the main reason being you will be able to eke out fainter objects than the 9.25.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either of them but I'd need some convincing to sway me back towards the 9.25.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1464

Most reviews put them pretty much on par, though in ideal conditions the C11 should be slightly better. However the price difference is significant. The extra money could be spent on a better mount, or some high quality EPs. This will make the overall package better IMHO, which is why I went for the C9.25.

I have/ had both the C9.25 ( just sold it this week! something I'm sure I will regret) and the C11.

The C9.25 mounted on a HEQ5pro is at the limit... the C11 on a NEQ6pro also close ( by the time you add the spectroscope/ cameras/ electronic finder etc etc)

The C9.25 was one of the best SCT's I've ever had. Fantastic performance....Certainly much better than the 8", 10" Lx200 I previously used.

I also had a 12" Lx200 but the OTA was tooooo heavy to fit the NEQ6pro - sold that...

The move up to the C11 was driven by the need, wish, desire to use the spectroscope on fainter targets. Sit's well on the mount, Bob's knobs, Losmandy dovetail (you MUST add a safety clamp - trust me!) This one will see me through to stumps.

The first image is the C11/NEQ6 in the TSO, the other the C9.25/HEQ5

Hope this helps.

post-2614-0-25252700-1357769586_thumb.jp

post-2614-0-13203900-1357770008_thumb.jp

Aaaaagh you guys are making me think twice about selling my C9.25........... maybe I should keep it for SP's or guests or just planetary nights???????? decisions decisions! Think I might take it off sale for a bit.

I do much prefer the C1100EdgeHD, but only really because it looks sexier I think :s The C9.25 has given me some awesome results really.

I have just upgraded to a bigger chip camera though so that the better stars will start to be more evident around the edges now.

If it would be helpful I could post a 20 minute Ha sub @ f10 with the C9.25 versus a 20 minute Ha sub with the C1100 at f10?

I also have to say that I have had better visuals on Jupiter and Saturn with the C1100 than the C9.25. Planetary and lunar Images, given my dodgy technique, about the same maybe.

But you do have quite a special C11! We're talking a £4000 C11 EdgeHD SCT vs a £1000 C9.25 SCT. Think what that £3000 could buy you? I think someone said the Edge optics don't help that much with planetary viewing. It's more about image flattening/coma and sharpness at the edge of the FOV? I guess if you do a lot of that type of imaging and you have the money to spend then great. But otherwise you're spending a lot of money for a small gain. I think you can say the same about the standard C11 vs C9.25. You're spending a lot of extra money for a small gain. The C9.25 is probably the sweet spot in the range if value for money is important. Though a C-14 would always be nice!! I don't want to imagine what a C-14 EDGE costs? Once you get a mount that can hold the weight you must be talking in terms of Car money!

In fact, forget all the above. Just get the best scope you can afford. If you can afford a C11 get one of those! It's certainly not going to be any worse than a C9.25 :-D

I am going to get a good used C9.25 OTA as well funded by the sale of my CPC1100 - a fantastic scope that I will miss dearly. But I want to do two things:

1.Continue to observe since I very much like doing so with my TV Ep's. No issues with the 1100 there!

2.Do some DSO imaging on things like globular clusters that I love. I am also Jupiter and Saturn nut and want to image them more. The CPC series do not cut it on DSO and the wedge is a complication I can do without.

I think the C9.25 on my NEQ6 Pro will fulfill both those requirements rather well with an OAG and a reducer (for DSO). At my level my ED80 works a treat for me for wider field imaging. That will get an upgrade when I am more experienced in a few years.

Rgds, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Also the scope would be kept in the house so will require lifting out into the garden for use. Is the c11 going to be a pain to carry in and out??

Answer to that question? Emphatic "yes, it will!" I keep mine upstairs in a back bedroom, and schlepping up & down stairs 3 or 4 times with the component parts is a pain. I also have a refractor piggy backed on mine for guiding & widefield, and lifting the whole ensemble (OTA + Guidescope) onto the mount can be a bit arm/knee trembling at times.

Sounds like you're going down the right road to me :grin:

Still, keeps me fit..

The CPC C11 is a great scope but in the end I found it was a PITA carrying about so I have today sold it. If I could have kept it on a wedge in an obsy i would not have sold it but setting it up on a wedge from scratch every night in our fickle UK weather is a none starter so she's gone. I am going to get a C9.25 for use on my NEQ6. I hear very good things about the 9.25 so going to give one a whirl.

Archived