Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter

Just used my 130mm skywatcher for the 1st time tonight, got some great sights of Jupiter and 4 of its moons but not after a while of trying to figure out what the best out of my 3 eyepeices is to see it better? I've got a "super 10mm" "super 25mm/wide angle" and my 2x Barlow, any advice would be great, Jon

We all have the same EP's: 10 and 25mm. What you have right now............go for the 10mm and dont worry about the 2x barlow.

10mm EP in a 130mm scope should give nice views of Jupiter (depending on local seeing conditions).

By all means try the 10mm with the 2x barlow and see how it goes.

I also saw Jupiter for the first time last night with my Skywatcher 200p and used the same eyepieces as you. As Luke Skywatcher said the 10mm gave the best view overall but I did get some nice views with the Barlow + 10mm as well. Try it and see what happens. Still feeling 'wowed' by the views I had now. :grin:

Hi, i'v got the Skywatcher 130mm aswell, I found the 25mm spot on but struggled with the 10mm (was advised the stock 10mm was naff) so i upgraded to a better EP (Meade HD-60 9mm) and the image is much much better!! With what you've got i'd say the 25mm is your best bet, yes it's small, but at least its nice & crisp, barlowing with the stock barlow isnt nice either & not a good quality item (It's always a problem with supplied EP's) for me, I'd stick with the 25mm (unless of course u have no problem with the 10mm) and upgrade as soon as poss.Good luck.

Steve

They might not be great, but the stock eyepieces are fine to begin with.

Get to know the 'scope first and what you want to use it for before you consider anything else.

You'll need a very good clear night to be able to barlow the 10mm and still get a decent image, but the 10mm on it's own should be fine.

Depending on conditions, and I've no experience of the barlow, but that and the 25mm might give a smaller, but clearer image on occasions.

In other words, suck 'em and see!

Remember, conditions play a big part, as does allowing the 'scope to cool down properly and your eyes to adjust to the dark fully.

The longer you're out there the better (and colder) it'll get (I'm not managing long at the moment)!

Cheers

Hi, i'v got the Skywatcher 130mm aswell, I found the 25mm spot on but struggled with the 10mm (was advised the stock 10mm was naff) so i upgraded to a better EP (Meade HD-60 9mm) and the image is much much better!! With what you've got i'd say the 25mm is your best bet, yes it's small, but at least its nice & crisp, barlowing with the stock barlow isnt nice either & not a good quality item (It's always a problem with supplied EP's) for me, I'd stick with the 25mm (unless of course u have no problem with the 10mm) and upgrade as soon as poss.Good luck.

Steve

im a neebie and have the same scope too i find that the ep i came with are not the best , need to upgrade soon , revelation eyepiece set seems to have good reviews all round for peoplewith a budget(£130) im going to invest in one within the next few weeks unless im advised against its by anyone .

ive used the SW EP's nearly a year and a half! and tbh i dont see why i would want to upgrade really thinking about it, i all ways see these nice green text Tele Vue Ep's that look the business with £££ price tags and i think mhhhhh, but tbh ive never really wanted/needed more out of my SW 25, 10mm & x2 barlow, i mostly only use my EP's with my SW x2 barlow and more of the time i have the 10mm in the barlow when viewing, all ways nice detail with this setup even on poor seeing nights. So im just thinking why do i need to spend £££ maybe ££££'s on EP's when my SW set does it all for me.

Yes i have never used anything apart from the stock EP's that came with my SW130p so can not compare, but can not really seeing the need to upgrade where they are soo good imo

Martin

im a neebie and have the same scope too i find that the ep i came with are not the best , need to upgrade soon , revelation eyepiece set seems to have good reviews all round for peoplewith a budget(£130) im going to invest in one within the next few weeks unless im advised against its by anyone .

To be honest, apart from eye relief, i can't see any difference in quality of the image between the EPs shipped with skywatcher scopes and my Celestron X-cels which are £70each. So the stock ones arn't all to bad.

Maybe I was been a little harsh :eek: , everybody is different, some EP's work better for some people & not so well for others. For me the 25mm was and still is a good ep for me, but the 10mm Skywatcher really wasnt any good for me (I wear glasses which doesnt help & it was like looking thru a pinhole) I agree, if your happy with the stock ones then keep them & save the cash. I upgraded to the Meade and (again for my eyes) its a much better ep, yes it is 86quid but imo more that worth it, the view/comfort is far better in all aspects. Again thats just for MY eyes. :smiley:

ive used the SW EP's nearly a year and a half! and tbh i dont see why i would want to upgrade really thinking about it, i all ways see these nice green text Tele Vue Ep's that look the business with £££ price tags and i think mhhhhh, but tbh ive never really wanted/needed more out of my SW 25, 10mm & x2 barlow, i mostly only use my EP's with my SW x2 barlow and more of the time i have the 10mm in the barlow when viewing, all ways nice detail with this setup even on poor seeing nights. So im just thinking why do i need to spend £££ maybe ££££'s on EP's when my SW set does it all for me.

Yes i have never used anything apart from the stock EP's that came with my SW130p so can not compare, but can not really seeing the need to upgrade where they are soo good imo

Martin

Good post. If it ain't broke etc :)

Archived