Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello a real newby - help needed!!!

BamBam

We bought a 700mm x 76mm telescope for our nine year old daughter for Christmas as she has been hinting about one for about six months - one of her favourite bedtime reading book is '100 facts about space'. We think she is all set up and ready to go infact we are all excited and want to try it out but since Christmas day we have had nothing but rain and cloudy skies. Will there be anything out there to see in these conditions and how does she make sure everything is ok / aligned so we get to see something.

I have started reading books on Astronomy and watched a couple of DVD's and have found it fascinating.Somehow I think this could become a family hobby!

All advice will be gladly appreciated.

Welcome to SGL

No reason you can't get the telescope all set up and checked over during daylight. In fact if you need to align a finder and the main telescope then that's often easiest done during the day using a distant landmark.

Unfortunately the cloud has been a real curse of late, but there's very little we can do about that other than try to get through it. Wait until you get an entire week of clear nights and your body is desperate for sleep but you just can't bear the thought of passing up on one more good night :)

James

Welcome! What nice parents you are!! Without taking it out into the rain you can certainly set it up indoors and get used to the mount and how it moves (what scope is it btw?). Practice putting the eyepieces in and how the focuser moves.

On a dry day, you can go outside during daytime and line up the finder scope on a distant tree top, spire, chimney, whatever you have. However, Impress most strongly on your daughter that you NEVER point the scope ANYWHER NEAR the sun!

When you have a clear night (there will be one soon!), Jupiter is in a prime viewing location right now. You should be able to spot the moons as long as the mount is reasonably stable. Check on Stellarium for their relative positions. Remember they will be upside down and back to front in a reflector!!

Definately agree, check out stellarium, it is a planisphere programme, a great way to learn your way around the night sky. Great way to put to good use those cloudy nights. Here is a link incas

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Thank you to everyone who has responded already feeling welcomed. The telescope is a Seben - got it as a starter telescope (reviews were quite good and we know absolutely nothing about telescopes) but plan to invest in a better scope once my daughters confidence grows :smiley:. I actually wished we had found this site before buying as I can see there is a LOT of information here.

I have already given her the golden rule about NEVER looking at the sun and will continue to repeat it every day until she really understands. If the daytime is good (no rain) tomorrow we will line up the finderscope, practice using it and then wait....................!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Yes there is plenty of information available to help you and your daughter get up and running. Unfortunately we can't do anything about the clouds but the suggestion of Stellarium is a really good one that will help everyone get acquainted with the night sky. One particular target that is looking good at the moment is jupiter and certainly a big one to tick off the list of things to see. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions and remember a the daft question is the one you didn't ask.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi BamBam and welcome to SGL, A wise choice joining the forum to assist your Daughter, the only trouble is the Astro bug also has a habit of biting those trying to help. It is a fascinating subject, this particular branch of the Sciences, the only drawback is the confounded weather we get in this country which has habit of cutting down on observing time, never the less a clear night with a telescope can be very rewarding. Apart from advice from the forum you could invest in one of the most popular books available to help you and your family and that is TL@O this is written with the small telescope in mind and will help guide you to some of the main objects which can be seen in each Constellation throughout the year, have fun :icon_santa:

John.

I have already given her the golden rule about NEVER looking at the sun!

Excellent. This is so important. I would also emphasise to my own children that even if they think they have filters over the eyepiece or objective at the end, never to take any risks. Who knows, inquisitive and "problem-solving" children, out of curiosity, might figure out that the Sun is safe to look at if they try and block or reduce the rays by some home-made means (tracing paper etc)

[Also, it is very important to be suspicious of sun filters that are provided with scopes or sold separately. Anything that is ever used should be bought from a reputable astronomical instrument supplier, have the appropriate approved standard kite mark, and should never be used if it has any sign of damage (even a slight scratch).]

Welcome, by the way! :grin:

Tony

Archived