Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

Hello,

If you have travelled by air with your telescope I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

In particular, if you have travelled on a budget airline like RyanAir or EasyJet, what has been the deal? Have you got it on board as sports equipment or a musical instrument, or have they been happy to deal with it as it is as special luggage?

In particular, what about a telescope as long as, say, a TAL 100RS?

Thanks for any information/experiences anyone can offer.

All the best,

Tony

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I "exported" my C8 OTA to Tenerife wrapped in a sleeping bag inside a soft case via hold luggage on Easyjet with no problem. If I sent a Tal100 I would remove the dewshield and focuser and pack them separately to keep the length down. :smiley:

Thanks for the info Peter. Would a TAL trimmed down as described have a length that would fit into a regular long case, so it would not get caught as "oversize" baggage with the extra charges that may be incurred?

blumming nora!! I read the title and thought...Who the ef has a 1000mm refractor ....let alone one they can carry...and as for getting on the plane..love to hear that conversation at Customs!

"Honestly Guv, it's a telescope"

Then I read your post and clarity prevailed :)

Please don't post titles like that, you can give an old man heart failure. :D

"Honestly Guv, it's a telescope"

I once was instructed to bring back a massive juice extractor from London to Norway. Now, these were earlier days before the total security clamp down of no more than 100 ml fluids in bottles and plastic bags etc etc so there was a bit more latitude.

Anyway, I managed to unpack the juice extractor and put all the peripherals and attachments into my checked in luggage with other commodities I was coming back with. And I managed to put the motor unit into my hand luggage (only just).

So there I am at Stansted about to go through security and the holdall containing the motor unit goes into the X-ray machine.

Next thing I hear from the security guy scrutinising the contents of bags using the monitor is "WHAT THE <expletive> <expletive> <expletive> IS THAT???!!!"

All got unpacked, swabbed, checked for explosives, all was clear of course, but I will never forget the tone of incredulity/urgency in that voice.

Reminded me of the security check gag in the classic Airplane movie!!!

- Tony

I once was instructed to bring back a massive juice extractor from London to Norway. Now, these were earlier days before the total security clamp down of no more than 100 ml fluids in bottles and plastic bags etc etc so there was a bit more latitude.

Anyway, I managed to unpack the juice extractor and put all the peripherals and attachments into my checked in luggage with other commodities I was coming back with. And I managed to put the motor unit into my hand luggage (only just).

So there I am at Stansted about to go through security and the holdall containing the motor unit goes into the X-ray machine.

Next thing I hear from the security guy scrutinising the contents of bags using the monitor is "WHAT THE <expletive> <expletive> <expletive> IS THAT???!!!"

All got unpacked, swabbed, checked for explosives, all was clear of course, but I will never forget the tone of incredulity/urgency in that voice.

Reminded me of the security check gag in the classic Airplane movie!!!

- Tony

That reminds me of when I took some tools to my former parents-in-law in Lithuania, I nearly forgot my 18V DeWalt, seems when they go into X-Ray machines they look like hand guns...I missed my flight, and that was the least of my troubles for about 8 hours...This was back in the mid 1990's, but even then they did not like the idea of someone taking a battery drill onto a plane in hand luggage :D

Very Black Adder-esque.

I should reply

"As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University"

- Tony

Sounds to me like this plan could be;

As cunning as a cunning plan created by a cunning fox trying to get hold of the chickens in the roost!!

Tony, i will measure the "tube" length when i get home, but it will still be close to a metre long, also if removing the dewshield, that will leave the objective exposed, as the lens cap is on the end of the dewshield

Tony, i will measure the "tube" length when i get home, but it will still be close to a metre long, also if removing the dewshield, that will leave the objective exposed, as the lens cap is on the end of the dewshield

Thanks Jules! Much appreciated!

As my "plan" comes together, maybe TAL owners could give me the approximate weight of the TAL 100R and 100RS OTAs. I suppose they are pretty much the same, even thought the focussers are different.

And, what is the weight of just the original wooden tripod and mount supplied with TAL 100R telescopes? It didn't come with counterweights by any chance.

These budget airlines can be so finicky and pernickety about luggage weights and dimensions I want everything fully worked out in advance.

Andy: The plan is being formulated. The interstellar matter is slowly merging under gravitational forces.

Here's a clue

- Tony

I flew with a 120 Achromat on four occasions without difficulty. I made a light ply box with plenty of room around the scope inside so that it had two densities of foam to cushion it in the event of the box being dropped.

I think it was just within the hold baggage allowance from memory.

On another occasion I took the scope and my boxed folding bike and was all set to pay the extra. The lady in front of me at check in was told off for being a kilo overweight but was 'let off.' The check out lady then turned her professional smile on me, looked a little dismayed by the portable shanty town around me, checked me in and directed me to Out of Gauge without a work on payment.

I used to have a 4 inch Genesis which, with diagonal removed, would just comply with hand baggage in a snug fitting box I made. This was the best solution.

Tom usually manages to negotiate his FSQ into hand baggage status by contacting the airline first. Customs officers are quizzical, though. 'If it's a telescope, where do you look through it?' etc. :confused:

Olly

Hi Jules,

Lots of issues here, including the dreaded Norwegian customs. VAT, handling charge, caught up for weeks, opening up everything and repackaging it poorly.......... had all those experiences in the past.

Nipping over and collecting the gear from a drop off point will end up considerably cheaper and less stressful.

Been out here for many years and have gained lots of experience with exporting/importing gear from the UK. Also, I get the chance to catch up with an old friend :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: ...

As an afterthought, If I was going to transport a Tal 100 by air, I would remove the completer objective cell assembly and the focuser and carry them in my hand luggage. The current hand luggage weight limit on Easyject depends on whether you can lift it unaided into an overhead locker!. :smiley:

I used easy jet 3 times this year. I have never been with them before as they had no business class and all my travel was business before. I have to say they are very good indeed better than many I have been with, and that is a lot. EJet Cabin bag is measurement only, weight didn't matter, in September my cabin bag was 16.4 KG flying from England, they are much more strict on hold bags, 21kg rings the alarm bells, I asked. Peter has been with them too by the looks of it.

I would think twice about putting a long telescope in the hold, in my travels various airlines demolished 23 bags for me, but never lost one, but I did fly well over a million miles in 10 years.

Good luck,

Alan.

Thanks. I'd have to use RyanAir, for better or for worse, where the max cabin luggage is 10kg.

Oh well, I've used them loads of times and am fairly used to the processes.

By the way, did you know that if the luggage limit is 15kg their policy is to accept up to 15.9 kg on their scale at the airport. It is only when it hits 16kg that they advise you that you are liable for excess. Same for the 20kg limit if you pay for that... you are safe up to 20.9kg.

I will certainly remove as many of the detatchables as possible and wrap them safely and bring them aboard with me.

Tony

Still preparing for the execution of the "plan"...

If I were to go to a local carpet store and pick up a tube that used to have carpet wrapped around it, what would be the diameter necessary to snugly contain the TAL 100R or 100RS OTA? I'd put padding in of course, to stop it rattling around, but the rigid support would probably be ample protection.

What do you think?

post-27346-0-49443800-1356765478_thumb.j

I'm thinking that the most important part to be protected is the OTA to stop it being distorted and its axis messed up by being dropped or heavy cases sitting on it during the journey.

All the best

Tony

If your transporting just the stripped down tube, i would try for a tube with 125mm ID, then roll the Tal tube in a long length of bubble wrap, so it just slides into the card tube, also if you have a fishing tackle shop near you ask if they have a plastic rod tube, light but very strong, are you planning on buying a new OTA?

Archived