Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

Tony, a few more measurements / info for you:

1) length of OTA from end of diagonal to lens cap = 106cm

2) length of OTA from end of focusser (without diagonal) to lens cap = 101cm

3) length of OTA (without focusser - i.e. from end of white painted OTA) to lens cap = 92cm

My 100R has the older lens cap, mounted with three small screws.

4) internal length of lens cap from shiny purple glassy thing to end of lens cap = 5.5cm

Therefore I make the overall length of the OTA, without focusser or lens cap = 92-5.5 = 86.5cm

My tripod has the later mount cup which is held in place by 6 screws from underneath the tripod.

5) height / depth of mount cup = 3.5cm

Hope that's useful.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it won't be far away from the length of the tripod.

Yes, and that could work to my favour immensely. If I have three tubes (like that carpet tube I illustrated earlier) cut to go right across the case from end to end and solid caps made to fit over the ends of these carpet tubes, then I could have the two OTAs and the tripod braced together to make a very rigid single object. The combined weight will be well under 20kg so plenty of opportunities for extra packing and stuffing. I am also thinking of having a double tube structure (i.e. the items in smaller tubes which are, in turn, slid into slightly wider diameter tubes, and then packing in between to make a cavity that could absorb any unlucky blows to the case. All will be prepared in advance and taken over to Edinburgh, so the packing in Edinburgh will be "one I prepared earlier" type stuff. With the exact measurements, it should all be hand in glove :smiley:

Tony

No, they're not.

The cell screws have a diametre of about 6mm and the grooved bit where you put the screwdriver is no wider than 0.7 to 1mm.

The focuser screws have a diametre of about 8mm and the grooved bit is about 1mm wide.

Probably a bit redundent, but here goes

No Rob, not at all. It all helps and gives me a better insight of what to expect when I get to the gear in three weeks' time.

Your pictures give me something to go on.

I will make sure I have a full set of screw drivers with me so I can dismantle the necessary bits properly - I don't want to start stripping heads or forcing things because I don't have the right tools for the job. (Does that sound like the voice of experience? :eek: )

Tony

All the variations and development of TAL scopes are making me quite the "Tal-o-holic" as Andy put it.

All very exciting.

Update

The Eagle has Landed part 2 :grin:

Ten days left to go before departure.

My friend in the UK says that the TAL-100RS OTA has arrived!

So I am now the proud owner of two TALs ... just need to get them now!

Tony

Good news Tony! I'm certainly looking forward to the tale of this trip, with pics hopefully :)

Yes I'll have my phone camera with me (won't be taking anything else to conserve weight) but I'll try and put together the adventure in words and pictures for all interested at SGL once I get back. Haven't had so much fun and stuff to look forward to in years. Feel like a kid again :smiley:

Tony

Update:

Six days to go before departure!

Currently doing an inventory of packing materials.

I have acquired loads of bubble wrap from shops here in Norway akin to Currys/Dixons in the UK. The back of my car is full of it at the moment!

The carpet tubes I found in a local store were too narrow (100mm internal diameter) so I purchased two of these tubes which are used for setting concrete into the ground - they aren't so heavy but are very strong.

Looking at this online catalogue, there is supposed to be one with an internal diameter of 251 mm, although I never found it in the shop when I was there the other day - the tripod will go nicely into that according to Andy's measurements.

So the big case I showed in my previous post should be able to carry the two OTAs probably with lenses removed (but not necessarily, depending on weight) fully protected in these tubes with plenty of bubble wrap padding on the inside. Snug as a bug in a rug.

And the tripod base will be in its own one.

And the whole lot will be lashed together to form a complete solid object.

And all of that will be surrounded in so much bubble wrap and padding it will :icon_bounce: BOUNCE :icon_bounce: if dropped!

TOOLS:

If anyone could spend a moment, could I please have an inventory of the tools I'll need to do any of the dismantling. I imagine most of the screws will be small pozidrive (PZ) or Phillips (PH) heads, or maybe slot heads? Any chance of any Torx (star headed) screws I'll need, or bolts needing an allen key?

My mate in Edinburgh says he has everything but I just don't like to leave anything to chance. Last time i was at my brother's and needed to do a simple bit of DIY I ended up having to use a broken chisel as a slot-headed screwdriver :BangHead:

Cheers!

Tony

TOOLS:

If anyone could spend a moment, could I please have an inventory of the tools I'll need to do any of the dismantling. I imagine most of the screws will be small pozidrive (PZ) or Phillips (PH) heads, or maybe slot heads? Any chance of any Torx (star headed) screws I'll need, or bolts needing an allen key?

My mate in Edinburgh says he has everything but I just don't like to leave anything to chance. Last time i was at my brother's and needed to do a simple bit of DIY I ended up having to use a broken chisel as a slot-headed screwdriver :BangHead:

Cheers!

Tony

I'd say you might as well have a large screwdriver set with you just to cover you.

Good thing about the bouncing :), I'm planning on doing something similar with my modded bag for my OTA, build here

Screwdriver nerd alert !!!!!!!

F3ZARLQFOWZORNM.LARGE.jpg

I'd say the small x-heads that Tal use are more like the 'Frearson' type, rather than the phillips. As I mentioned previously, a phillips will work though.

Different sizes of slot headed types.

Anything different means they've probably been added by a previous user.

Andy.

Archived