Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

Nice one, Tony.

Okay. Here's a VERY rough idea. I used my mother-in-law’s flour scale and a little bit of hand-held balancing. Needless to say I was using the Tal 100rs.

The weight of the OTA with the finder scope, tube rings and focuser attached is about 4,300 grammes (g)

The weight of tube rings is about 400g to 500 g

Weight of focuser about 800g to 1,000g (rough estimate here because I was literally balancing the OTA on the flour-scales).

Weight of finder scope about 300g.

When I lift the tube a lot of weight seems front loaded, so I imagine the lens is weighing in around 1,250g to 1,500g.

This makes the tube about 1,000g to 1,250g in weight.

These are all rough estimates but should give some idea of what is going on.

This is a great read by our very own Astro Baby and has the handy handbook at the end: Tal by Astrobaby

It's just an idea, but if a plane seat wasn't that expensive, would it be possible to book the Tal a seat?

Looking at the OTA, if you had the courage you might be able to unscrew the lens end and the focuser and carrying these on board with you. Someone far wiser will be able to say if this is a crazy idea.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:grin:

If that were so, it might make good sense to unscrew these vital parts which hardly weigh anything and put the Siberian tank tube - 150% well protected against any suitcase toppling on top of it - into the luggage section?

would it be possible to book the Tal a seat?

Would that be smoking or non smoking sir :grin: the lens comes of with the removal of just 3 small screws as does the focuser

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Or how about:

Have you packed any sharp objects, sir?

Yes, the lens on my TAL-100R telescope is well-regarded as being pretty darn sharp!

- Tony

Looking at the OTA, if you had the courage you might be able to unscrew the lens end and the focuser and carrying these on board with you. Someone far wiser will be able to say if this is a crazy idea.

Thanks for all your measurements and input, Rob.

Peter Drew has already suggested removing the focusser. If I could get some feedback from others about removing the lens, that would be something I would happily do.

If someone could post close up shots of the screws and method for removing these things I'd highly appreciate that.

Remember, I am going in "blind" - I have never beheld a TAL-100 (R or RS) in real life - only what pictures and descriptions I have seen on the internet via the community here and other reviews. So it would even be down to what screwdrivers I need. I am only at my friend's house for one night (flying in one day, and out the next) so the whole thing has to be executed like a pretty efficient military maneuver. I am only taking one change of clothes out with me for me and my daughter, so all the rest of the weight and volume coming back can be taken up by the two OTAs and the tripod/mount assembly, and necessary packaging (bubble wrap etc)

Cheers

Tony

Sadly it may stay an idea as my monster loft spiders possibly use it, but they bite, wear boots and are the size of footballs. Yes........ I have a fear of spiders :(

Yes I can just imagine it...

First clear night for weeks and you go to your telescope to get it out to cool down.

On the other hand, you decide, you'll stay in and do a bit of washing up in the kitchen.

post-27346-0-72373300-1356850615_thumb.j

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Tony

Tripod ----- length/height = 960mm ----- weight = 6kg ------ diameter when folded = 200mm* *ie: it would fit into a 200mm I/D tube, perhaps slightly smaller. Could, with care take off the spiked feet. There are attached by 4 very small screws into the wood. Probably need new screws as experience has taught me, that they chew up easily.

From what I gather, 960mm including the 50mm, so if I remove them, I shave off that and make the length 910mm? Is that right?

post-27346-0-22056700-1356852099_thumb.j

I have this case:

post-27346-0-56665600-1356852704_thumb.j

I have been conservative with the measurements, rounding down to the nearest 10mm

The sides of the case are floppy. In actual fact, the whole suitcase is very floppy apart from a plywood base (the bit which I placed the green arrow on).

The OTAs will both fit inside it and I can include hard protection for them too.

Can I squeeze in the tripod? Dunno. There is a lot of flex, and we are only dealing with about 7.5 cm either side of flex in the sides of the case to accommodate it (if the spikes, when removed, reduce the length to about 910mm).

The fact is that it seems I have the possibility of including lots of weight for protection and shielding with the OTAs and tripod in this case.

Tony

I am only at my friend's house for one night (flying in one day, and out the next) so the whole thing has to be executed like a pretty efficient military maneuver. I am only taking one change of clothes out with me for me and my daughter, so all the rest of the weight and volume coming back can be taken up by the two OTAs and the tripod/mount assembly, and necessary packaging (bubble wrap etc)

Don't forget to get a disguise and a false passport.. :grin:

This is a great read, you'll probably land a job with M15 after this.

You should do a short film of the mission... :grin:

Thanks for all your measurements and input, Rob.

Peter Drew has already suggested removing the focusser. If I could get some feedback from others about removing the lens, that would be something I would happily do.

If someone could post close up shots of the screws and method for removing these things I'd highly appreciate that.

Remember, I am going in "blind" - I have never beheld a TAL-100 (R or RS) in real life - only what pictures and descriptions I have seen on the internet via the community here and other reviews. So it would even be down to what screwdrivers I need. I am only at my friend's house for one night (flying in one day, and out the next) so the whole thing has to be executed like a pretty efficient military maneuver. I am only taking one change of clothes out with me for me and my daughter, so all the rest of the weight and volume coming back can be taken up by the two OTAs and the tripod/mount assembly, and necessary packaging (bubble wrap etc)

Cheers

Tony

Tony, i cant post a picture as im away from my 100rs, but to remove the lens assembly on the 100rs, slide dew shield of, and you will have a black cylinder that is the objective, on the edge near where it meets the white of the OTA are 3 screws spaced 120 degree`s apart, they are flat head, and a small screw driver is what you need, one slightly larger than an electrical screw driver is ideal, with these removed the entire lens assembly pulls of, but i would put a little strip of tape on the tube, and lens assembly for orientation. It will be the same for the 100r, but i dont know how the dew shield comes of on the older model

From what I gather, 960mm including the 50mm, so if I remove them, I shave off that and make the length 910mm? Is that right?

The 4 screws that hold on the spiked feet are very small 'phillips', or x head types. There are several sizes of this x head type, so I'll check my toolbox and try n find the proper name/size of screwdriver. Be aware that they may cause extreme frustration and if they chew, you're screwed, if you excuse the pun. I had a hell of time with an old Tal 'M' box, that I wanted converted to use as a general storage container. Similar very small screws, that held the internal shaped wooden blocks. So as my granny said, 'go canny', or take your time. I'll attempt to take one of my feet off and let you know how I get on.

Regarding the 100R you've bought. Later ones had the same slip off large plastic dewshield as the 100RS. Older ones had a smaller metal one, which was screwed on. Another thing to be aware of !

Do you know if the scope you've bought is pre or post year 2000 ?

Andy

Don't forget to get a disguise and a false passport.. :grin:

This is a great read, you'll probably land a job with M15 after this.

You should do a short film of the mission... :grin:

With a 'mission impossible' or 'jason bourne' soundtrack................

:grin:

Yes, 50mm can be taken off the height of the tripod, if the feet come off.

Before taking off both focuser and especially the lens cell, mark their positions with small coloured stickers, or marker pen etc. ie: dot the tube at one screw, dot next to the screw hole. In theory it shouldn't matter, but I always do things this way. * Woops, already suggested by Jules :smiley:

With the 100's, the only way to tell it's age was to look at the back of the manual and look for the filled factory form, which quotes it's year of birth. Klevs had a 2 number code for the year also on the sticker, along side the serial #. Newts had the year and serial # stamped to their primary mirror cells. Don't know why the fracs get left out in this manner.

Archived