NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Air Travel with 1000mm refractor

TonyD

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, good. Later smooth shaft, therefore later mount. So the measurements I quoted earlier are valid.

My goodness Andy. You're out-anoraking me.

I thought me and my brother were bad enough.

[Looking for a smiley icon which is worshippinig the path you walk upon]

I'll try this :worship:

Tony

Save this pdf I've added below, for future reference.

I've found even a simple strip down, degrease, regrease, without removing the rack from the focus tube, can make the much maligned R&P buttery smooth. Well, all mine are. I think it's mentioned in the pdf, but Tal R&P's are adjusted for tension by the twisting of the right hand focuser wheel(whilst holding steady, the left hand one).

Andy.

TalScopes Tal focuser rebuild.pdf

Your are wonderful. Thanks so much.

:laugh:

Not sure how to access the PDF ... no link is coming up?

No offence with the "anorak" I hope. My brother and I have a running joke about the nitty gritty details we can absorb and relay about all sorts of things (like streetlight production in the UK in the 1950s) that leaves our poor wives with their faces buried in their hands...

Tony

I'm repeatedly told, with a smile and a shake of the head, 'you are such a saddo', by my dearest darling wife. So true.

Well I did show your previous post to my wife to try and demonstrate to her that more of us exist!

Tony

Okay.

Just had a go at removing one of the feet off my tripod.

Considering it's age and the often muddy conditions it's been used in, it came off with ease !!!

There are a set of 3 screws at the front, 2 at the back. I found a phillips type, #0 or #1 sized head to be a good fit.

Make sure the drivers tip is in good condition and be wary of slipping and mashing the screw head.

Fingers crossed your one is as easy as mine.

Andy.

Cheers Andy,

I'll take along with me an emergency kit and my sonic screwdriver :smiley:

What about the cup at the top of the tripod? Could that be removed with a few screws? The only reason I ask is that it might shave off another important 15cm from the overall length, making it fit snugly in my case without bulging out the sides at all.

Tony

Yeah, the cup comes off. It's held on with 3 setscrews, if memory serves. It's about 40mm high/deep.

The following pics are of my earlier version tripod. Note the central large thumbscrew that secures the mount at it's base.

Later ones have 3 thumbscrews that secure the mount from the side of the cup.

Andy

Great stuff, Andy.

So - just making sure I've not mixed up the maths - 960mm minus 50mm for the leg spikes, minus another 40mm for the cup, takes the length of the tripod to 870mm, which means it will sit across my case without bulging out the sides (ample room for stuffing protection).

Looking good :smiley:

Thanks

Tony

Again from memory, the R tube 'might' be up to 100mm longer than the RS tube. Simply because of the focuser differences.

A member on here recently got an R for xmas. Might be worthwhile sending him a message, asking to measure the length of the painted white portion of the tube.

Is there some sacred place unknown to man where Tal owners go and secretly meet to talk in Talunian with one another yet?

Because if there isn't this thread leaves one feeling like there should be such a place... :laugh:

Brilliant post, foundaplanet.

Had me in stitches!

Tony

Archived