NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Brian May for S@N ?

MorningMajor

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we just have to put faith in the beeb and hope whatever formula they decide on and which presener/presenters are chosen. lets hope for a promising future for the sky at night.

Haha, Phil Harding talking about astronomy :D I'd like to see that...

is that the hairy somerset chap ,always up to his wotsits in mud.

is that the hairy somerset chap ,always up to his wotsits in mud.

It is indeed. I was watching him earlier on TT talking to a lump of rock in his broad accent, was quite amusing.

Moving on with the theme though, they could get tony robinson to do it but dressed up as baldrick, that would bring in the viewers for sure, haha :grin:

Time Team is ending because they tried to make it sexy by bringing in a woman to co-present or something and i think Mick Aston refused to work with her. They should have brought in Dr. Alice Roberts.

Tony Robinson is a great presenter on any show. Maybe he is even a closet astronomer.

Seems Mick thought they started dumbing it down with all the specials, and less archeological content.

The female co-host was cute however.

I will miss the show, but I understand if they let it go after 20 seasons. I have the whole series on my hard drive. Time to start watching the whole thing again when the 20th final season is done.

Just as long as S@N keeps on...

My understanding of the viewing rates for S@N was that the majority were non astronomers. If this is correct, we have to be a little carefull that we (amateur astronomers) don't get too fixed on what we would like to see presented. On a similar tack, when Classic FM began, the classical music fans were less than happy but it introduced a vast new appreciation of the genre. :smiley:

This is something I see from my friends, I try and gee some of them up into looking through the scope, learning about the wider world etc but they're just not itnerested. Then every now and then one of them will pipe up asking if I saw a certain article on this months S@N. Baffles me, as any attempt to get them looking through a scope is met with.."I can't be bothered".... :confused:

Re new presenter for S@N. if you look at the. BBC Sky at Night pages it lists Chris North as part of the team along with Chris Lintott, Paul Abell and Pete Lawrence so one can assume that's the line up for now

I hope this is how it stays. I think these chaps are a perfect crowd for the delivery of a quality and informative program for astronomers.

I would hate to see the program move into chav tv land with a big make over, a fancy studio and jazzed up scripting. Personally I don't care for making astronomy more appealing to the masses, I like the ones I meet who get there through their own devices. Although, I would add that I very much support giving opportunities to the younger generation.

James F recently posted something like these words.....'I didn't pick astronomy, astronomy picked me'... well put, and that pretty much sums it up to my mind.

Some fancy show on the bbc that tries to throw astronomy into the lime light has no appeal to me, Stargazing Live once a year is enough for that.

bino2.gif

I think they should probably draw it to a close, and leave it as Patrick's ultimate legacy. I mean how many of us actually get our information from the TV anymore?

When it comes to such things it's not "us" that needs the programme but others not fully tipped.

Archived