Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brian May for S@N ?

MorningMajor

Patrick used to occasionally muse excitedly on what future developments and discoveries his successor would be delivering. He was very humble and refused to admit that he was special - in his view it was the astronomy that is special and another suitably qualified presenter would do just as well.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is only my personal thoughts here ,but i would like to see the sky at night revamped now. we stuck with a very traditional programe that remained largely unchanged over a long period of time.

with sir patricks passing ,i think it opens the door to a overhaul . we've all talked about this before on these forums ,with a split camp as to the way to go. but now id say the timing would be an opportunity to put a whole new set up into action.

i have my ideas as to what id like to see and what id like to keep the same,but its up to the beeb to ultimately decide on its future, hopefully they will get it right being the best in the world at what they do.

the only thing i can say for sure,it will be a strange programe without the great man around.

I certainly hope it continues, but it must be with a new format that will appeal to a younger audience as well. The theme tune could do with replacing with some more hip, Jean Michel Jarre Oxygene part 4 ( It has been used for a TV show before).

Jon Culshaw to take over as presenter.

As far as I am aware the Sky still darkens at night and as such there is no more fitting title for the show, as such it should continue, Patrick would not have wanted it to end, he would be mortified at the thought of his passing would mean the end of the show and would amply demonstrate how out of touch with reality and public opinion the lofty towers of the BBC have become, afterall without our license fees they don't have a flipping job...they best remember that.

Brian Cox is not the best presenter, he is an able scientist and a good lecturer as I understand it from those who have attended his lectures, but his style is something that does not appeal to all. I know Patrick's didn't appeal to all, but people still watched because of the manner of the delivery and the fact that people loved his eccentric nature regardless, Brian Cox lacks that appeal because he is not eccentric enough.

I can think of many who would make able presenters, including the rather eccentric James May, or even Dara O'Brien, who has a degree in mathematics and one of Theoretical physics, and as the current host of "Stargazing Live" is well acquainted with the team and the potential audience know him.

The BBC will make an announcement when it is deemed appropriate, after a tasteful period has elapsed, speculation will not change that decision and nor will sentiment..lets just see what the new year brings.

Jim

Dr Chris North for me! he is active in education and Today's / Tomorrows missions always comes across clearly and has presented on the show and would be able to ask the really good questions we all want to know about.

i don't think it should be a comic or musician news reader etc as it would no doubt be used as a vehicle for them intentionally or not. give the gig to an astronomer

i would also be happy with Dr Chris Lintott i one thing i will Say about Chris Lintott is i hope he is given the opportunity to Lead the next show as he has been there with Patrick for a good while now it WOULD NOT be fitting for someone to be brought in to do it.

What worries me is that the Beebs idea of revamping could well be a dumbing down. Look what happened to "Tomorrows World", a good science magazine programme in the hands of Raymond Baxter and James Burke but dumbed out of existence by the likes of Maggie Philbin, Phillipa Forrester, Kate Humble etc etc.

(and if anyone mentions Jeremy Clarkson for the job.......... :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Just my opinion

Jason

Patrick already surrounded himself by presenters he trusted to explain and enthuse the public. Why change the obvious good formula he created. If you look back the last 5 years he has contributed less and less to the program and was the figurehead of it. Both Chris North and Chris Lintott have the personalities to carry the program. So I say let us carry on as it is and pay respect to the legacy that Patrick has left us.

Just my twopenny worth!

To be honest I would be happy if any of the co presenters, Paul Abel, Chris North of Chris Lintott took over. S@N NEEDS to continue as it is a lasting legacy for Moore and he wouldv'e wanted it to continue. I do like the idea of Dara coming on every once in a while but not James May. I just don't like his presenting style. I haven't seen anything of Brian May so I can't talk about him...

Dr Chris North for me! he is active in education and Today's / Tomorrows missions always comes across clearly and has presented on the show and would be able to ask the really good questions we all want to know about.

i don't think it should be a comic or musician news reader etc as it would no doubt be used as a vehicle for them intentionally or not. give the gig to an astronomer

i would also be happy with Dr Chris Lintott i one thing i will Say about Chris Lintott is i hope he is given the opportunity to Lead the next show as he has been there with Patrick for a good while now it WOULD NOT be fitting for someone to be brought in to do it.

Whilst i think it is highly unlikely that either Brian May or Dara O'Brien would be offered the job, or would take it is asked, so portray them as only a Musician or a Comic is a little disingenuous, whilst this is what they are well known/famous for, this is not all they are, and away from the music and the Jokes, both are very serious about science and especially space research/astrophysics. Lets not forget that Patrick was an accomplished musician and I know personally he loved a good Joke and would play practical jokes on those around him, he may have been a little eccentric by today's standards, but he had a cracking sense of humour.

I would say Brian Cox but since he has Stargazing live and Wonders of the universe, although as far as I know he has no knowledge of Astronomy and even though he is older so he wont be doing it for very long I think David Attenborough would be nice as a temporary presenter, at least until someone with better expertise and a unique style comes along.

Either Chris Lintott or Chris North would be my choice. Both are first and foremost astronomers.

The S@N must continue.......and with the same theme music as well!!!!!!!! 'At the castle gate' by Sibelius for me (especially the ending) reflects the inner feelings of awe and wonder I have always had when either observing, producing a finally processed image or just thinking about the universe. Astronomy (and especially astrophysics) has an intellectual appeal, but to many that appeal is an emotional one (or both as in my case).

I would say Brian Cox but since he has Stargazing live and Wonders of the universe so he will be a bit busy...

Although as far as I know he has no knowledge of Astronomy and even though he is older so he wont be doing it for very long I think David Attenborough would be nice as a temporary presenter, at least until someone with better expertise and a unique style comes along.

The Quote is my edited version because that came out wrong.

I hope that the BBC will still want to still have an astronomy programme, whether it be Sky at Night or a new one. I think it would carry on well with the mix of presenters that it has now.

I was wondering if it required us as amateur astronomers to let the BBC know that we are out here and would very much still want S@N to continue.

My 2p worth !

I believe the show could do with a wee revamp but just to make it a bit more appealing to the younger generations , my nipper is well into astronomy but can't stand s@n.

It should be renamed though ...

'Patrick Moore's Sky at night'

It will always be his show :D

Hope he's up there watching us and realising how much he was loved and respected !

R.I.P. Patrick

My 2p worth !

I believe the show could do with a wee revamp but just to make it a bit more appealing to the younger generations , my nipper is well into astronomy but can't stand s@n.

It should be renamed though ...

'Patrick Moore's Sky at night'

It will always be his show :D

Hope he's up there watching us and realising how much he was loved and respected !

R.I.P. Patrick

I think it should be put on a little earlier since its put on a Sunday, so younger children have to be in bed for School the next day meaning there parents wont let them stay up and watch it.

There is a very strong lobby building for Dr Brian May to get the job and it apears to be at the exclusion of Chris Lintoff and also little mention of Prof Brian Cox.

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=909

This is where it can all get a little dirty but I hope not for the sake of the programme and the memory of SPM.

I would just like to add I didn't like typing the words "replacement for Sir Patrick Moore" but it seems everyone else out there in the media has no such qualms.

Baz

How to be hated?!

Sir Patrick Moore did a lot for astronomy and no one can ever take this away.

But the advancement of spreading this wonderful hobby via television was his down fall.

Just ask yourselves how the BBC could ever present a prime –time programme fronted with a Racist and homophobic presenter, sorry in this political correct society this would just not happen.

Thus, a fresh start will or could promote the hobby which we all love, in what manner who knows?!

Brian May would be a super permanent presenter IMO. Passionate for the subject, well qualified and enthusiastic to listen to. I believe he could pull it off. He might give us a few riff's on the guitar too... :)

Personally I believe the BBC do what they always do and wimp out of making a big decision.

Steve

The first question is will the program continue, then comes the format then the presenter(s).

It would probably be better as a team effort, then a person can be the "main" one monthly or at whatever period is settled on to cover one aspect or another.

Really the biggest aspect seems to be will the BBC drop it, and that I suspect has a reasonable probability.

However if the reports are correct maybe we have Brian May to thank for enabling SPM to have carried on presenting S@N.

Brian May would be a super permanent presenter IMO. Passionate for the subject, well qualified and enthusiastic to listen to. I believe he could pull it off. He might give us a few riff's on the guitar too... :)

Personally I believe the BBC do what they always do and wimp out of making a big decision.

Steve

Would this be the legend that is Mr Brian May thrashing out the national anthem on top of the Royal Observatory?!

Archived