Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR and live view with heq5 - 200p

Astro_king

Hi Guys,

I am sick of anyone hanging out with me complaining of the cold and forcing me to go in, I have decided to move to Astro photography. I have bought a Canon 450D and plan to buy a heq5 mount to track objects and just forget about staying out in the cold. Have a nice cup of tea with wife and family and just move the scope around.

Optimistic as it may sound, I do intend to connect the camera to my 200p and connect it with my laptop inside using vnc or any remote viewing tool (one laptop will stay outside).

Fast forward, I want to bring my second laptop in and connect it with our tv and display eqmod on it and move around and see stuff live. Now i do understand live view won't show me much but my question is will it show enough like a fuzzy blob with andromeda like we get to see visually or M42 before i take like a 30 second to 1 minute exposure and have a more detailed image or lets say 5 minute guided exposure with a guide scope?

I am just thinking to show them what things look like in live view and then take an exposure and the image becomes better. I will obviously photoshop later but this is my NASA styled observatory idea that i am working upon :).

I will modify my canon once I am advised of whats achievable under the circumstances by the AP gurus on this forum.

Thanks...

Well, I can't see any DSO in live view - not even Andromeda or Orion nebulae which are the brightest, with my ED80 and 1100D at ISO 6400. You might manage it if you have something like an 8" f4 scope or bigger but I don't know

no, you won't see neither the M31 or M42 with the 450D's live-view. However, simply just take 1 sec exposure at maximum ISO just to find and frame the targets.

For M42 you will be able to locate the stars in the core, but no nebula will show up with only live-view. Maybe if you used magic lantern on the camera and used longer exposures for live-view - but i'm not sure if that's supported on the 450D. Works perfect on the 550D though.

If the GOTO is aligned you could tell the mount to go to objects, then you could take say 20-30sec exposures and show on your TV. That way you can start making out DSO's just fine from your TV.

Live view has too short exposure time to bring out anything noteworthy.

if you want to see stuff live view the mammut CCD i have in my sig is the way to go the chip is very sensitive, you would have do 2-5 min exposures but the result are great, but with a dslr chips just are not that sensitive for live view

OK this leaves me with simple taking pictures and showing.. 30 secs to 1 minute exposures. Feel gutted as I could have done that with a cheap 350D... payed 100 quid extra for 450D :(

I don't follow you? I only use Liveview for initial infinity focus. You don't use liveview all the time....... You get the mount polar aligned and sky aligned, use Liveview to focus with a Bahtinov mask on a bright star, slew to your desired object, take a [say] 30 sec exposure to check your framing and you are away. Liveview is not used at all after the initial focusing. Trust me, you have NOT wasted your money on Liveview - it is invaluable. How are you going to easily focus without it?

As soon as you have your focus set and you are slewing accurately you can come inside and control remotely. Actually, you may still need to go outside and turn the camera to frame the object properly after a slew to a new object. I find that when imaging in back garden I am always popping out to check things - also you never know (in the UK at any rate) if a quick rain shower is on its way. You always need to be vigilant with a coupe of grand of stuff outside that does not take to being rained on very well.... :)

Steve

Black knight is right in suggesting APT. Now I've mastered polar aligning I use it for aligning stars as it has a reticule, the slew to a DSO, programme it and let it go, plus it shows you the picture you've just taken whilst it takes the next one, which is pretty cool the first time you see m42 or m33 on the screen.

Black knight is right in suggesting APT. Now I've mastered polar aligning I use it for aligning stars as it has a reticule, the slew to a DSO, programme it and let it go, plus it shows you the picture you've just taken whilst it takes the next one, which is pretty cool the first time you see m42 or m33 on the screen.

Actually I star align using APT and the reticle when I use my DSLR as well. Piece of cake :)

I don't follow you? I only use Liveview for initial infinity focus. You don't use liveview all the time.......

I think when Astro_king mentions 'live view' he is not referring to the 30sec quick view on the camera LCD.

I could be wrong but i think he is using the A/V output port on his camera and patching into the laptop or TV using the cables provided with the camera. Using the bundled Canon software there is an option that gives you a live view via the monitor screen, from there you can capture video and stills i believe.

I think when Astro_king mentions 'live view' he is not referring to the 30sec quick view on the camera LCD.

I could be wrong but i think he is using the A/V output port on his camera and patching into the laptop or TV using the cables provided with the camera. Using the bundled Canon software there is an option that gives you a live view via the monitor screen, from there you can capture video and stills i believe.

Yes mate spot on... I don't mind the cold that much.. its others usually... I tried the camera on my dobsonian and I understand the answers I have received from you guys better now.

Its the EOS utility that lets you view everything you are doing. Neverthless, The noise is fine and Live view shows you stars so basically you have some kind of display mechanism in front of you on your tv screen that will show you stars moving around and then you end up at your target and then do like a long exposure and view the image. I believe it is still good enough.

Time to open this camera and take that good for nothing filter out and chuck it far far away... wanna see all the reds i can get in M42 :)

Archived