Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Set of Eyepieces

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the image is correct a boxed set of 9 plossl's that came from Sky's the Limit.

Are you buying from the "shop" or from a person selling their eyepieces.

Basically are they used or new.?

Look as if they are well looked after although the picture has to be what they were like in their presales state.

Sky's the Limit seem to sell pretty good gear that is good for the price.

9 plossl's at say £30 a piece is £270 so £185 is good if new and fair if used.

If the image is correct a boxed set of 9 plossl's that came from Sky's the Limit.

Are you buying from the "shop" or from a person selling their eyepieces.

Basically are they used or new.?

Look as if they are well looked after although the picture has to be what they were like in their presales state.

Sky's the Limit seem to sell pretty good gear that is good for the price.

9 plossl's at say £30 a piece is £270 so £185 is good if new and fair if used.

Thanks a lot for your advice. They're brand new in box.

So basically they're still much better than my 10mm an 25mm eyepieces that came with the telescope. I have a SW Explorer 200p.

It depends on what came with your scope. Mine came with just a single 26mm Plossl built by Vixen. Very good EP indeed. Quite a few scopes come with modified achromats, which are not nearly as good. Plossls are generally good performers, and 9 for 20 quid apiece is not a bad deal at all.

I've tested one of the Plössl's in the set (26mm), you can see the review here (note: the one you're interested in I referred to as an "Omni" when it's not, mistake I made writing the view). The general feel I got was it was far better than the supplied 25mm MA, and about 5% off sharpness of the Meade I have. If the rest of the set is like that, I'd be happy with them :). To me, the eye relief offered by short focal length Plössls is not enough as I wear glasses, but you might be fine with it.

If you don't get on with the shorter ones, you can always sell them :).

I've tested one of the Plössl's in the set (26mm), you can see the review here (note: the one you're interested in I referred to as an "Omni" when it's not, mistake I made writing the view). The general feel I got was it was far better than the supplied 25mm MA, and about 5% off sharpness of the Meade I have. If the rest of the set is like that, I'd be happy with them :). To me, the eye relief offered by short focal length Plössls is not enough as I wear glasses, but you might be fine with it.

If you don't get on with the shorter ones, you can always sell them :).

Much appreciated - exactly the kind of information I needed to know. Can I ask, and forgive my ignorance, what's CA?

Much appreciated - exactly the kind of information I needed to know. Can I ask, and forgive my ignorance, what's CA?

Chromatic Aberration (False Colour), only usually happens on much brighter objects like the Moon, on cheaper eyepieces. It is also much more common with a refractor (achromatic refractor) than a reflector. It's not a big deal to me personally.

HTH

Seems like a good buy to me, they are new stock to Sky's the Limit, but I reckon you will be quite pleased with thier performance. You are buying from the shop in Welwyn Garden City, and the supplier, Alan, is a really decent bloke, really trust worthy with a proven record for good customer service.

To me that seems like a decent deal. For me 9 ep's would be too much and at least a few would probably not be used. Give Alan a call, I am sure he can tell you about the plossl's and their performance. To me when I first upgraded my supplied ep's for plossl's this was a giant leap in quality. I went from SW supplied 25 & 10 ep's to Meade 4000 plossls. The difference was outstanding. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Paul.

These caught my eye the other day while browsing ebay. Alan at sky's the limit is one of the most trustworthy and helpful guys you will ever come across. The way I see it is your getting 9 brand new plossl in a wide range of focal lengths for just over £20 each which is a bargain in my eyes. There is no doubt they will be a step up from the MA ep's that come as standard with skywatcher scopes but being a fast scope your always going to suffer with edge performane in almost all but the most exspensive of eye pieces. At least you will get a feel for which focal lengths and magnifications work best for you and that way in the future is you so choose you can splash out £200+ on a single eyepiece in the focal length you use most. What ever way you look at it the set you have just bought will always come in handy and despite myself spending over 2k on eyepieces at one time I always retained the cheap set I bought for my first scope and my son now uses them.

I agree with Keith........ don't bid if you don't intend to pay!!!

These are, no doubt, probably quite different to the Plossls advertised in Sky's The Limit`s web site, a set of the 9 Plossls advertised add up to something in the order of £188.91, Alan of STL also sells BST optics which are very popular and could in fact possibly be your next step up the ladder in terms of quality eye pieces. As already mentioned there will be some of the set that will get little use and some none at all. Perhaps you just might like to consider this : if you choose just five of the basic BST @ £43 ea you will spend £215 and up to 5 of the excellent Explorer range for £235, not a great deal more than than your anticipated outlay and all will be free post anyway. What I have suggested may now put you in a dilemma, but if you want to go down this route I think you will find Alan most accommodating. I am sure there will be many on the forum that will know which eye piece they would prefer in terms of quality performance :icon_santa:

John.

It's not really nice to bid on something, win it and don't pay. It cost the seller time and money to list the items and it also prevents other genuine buyer from buying it.

If you are not sure, don't bid.

To be fair lets give Imad a chance on this, we have no indication that he would want to back out of paying out his money, he is only asking the membership for their comments, if they are of the opinion that they think the offer is a fair deal. I do not doubt he will be well aware of the terms and conditions relating to bidding on the bay :icon_santa:

John.

Well I've had dealings with Alan and he is definatly a grade a good egg mate and I'm sure that they would be an improvement , but as has been mentioned you could get five of the bst for 235 and they are very very good

Archived