Yes, another newbie needing help on telescope selection!

Both the SkyHawk and the Explorer get favourable reviews but as the others have suggested, I'd also advise on going with the bigger apperture. I think this will be more pleasing for your son and the difference in price is almost insignificant. You'll also need to get yourself a collimating tool (perhaps a Cheshire) for the reflector and although not strictly necessary, I'd also recommend you the book, Turn Left at Orion which will help your son in his stargazing adventures. The most trusting and efficient and after-sales quality astronomy shop I know of in the UK is First Light Optics which comes highly recommended by just about everyone here at SGL.

If you haven't done so already, download Stellarium which is free and by word of caution (not knowing the given situation or degree of understanding), check out the sketches drawn by stargazers. Have a look at what size telescopes they're using and these will give an indication of what your son may be able to see on a given evening's session which as you'll appreciate will be nothing like the beautiful and colourful NASA photos we are treated to, nor those often displayed on supermarket telescope boxes. I think by doing this one avoids untoward disappointment or sentiments of being let down after the purchase of a telescope.

Your son is a very lucky chap (wish someone had done the same for me) and I wish you and your family a peaceful and loving Christmas.

Nice choice of scope.

My mum was telling me that her friends son has asked them for a telescope, and they bought him one from Aldi.. God only knows what its going to be like, but im guessing not great.

Your son should be pretty impressed with views through the 130. Wait till Saturn is back around next year, its just a WOW moment. Any interest in Astronomy yourself or is it just your child?

Nice choice of scope.

My mum was telling me that her friends son has asked them for a telescope, and they bought him one from Aldi.. God only knows what its going to be like, but im guessing not great.

Possibly not as bad as some out there. At the start of December they were selling a Nat Geo branded mini dob, along the same lines as the Celestron Firstscope or Skywatcher Heritage 76.

/offtopic

Archived