NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 - The Triangulum Galaxy

badgers

I've always wanted to try and image M33 as it's a spectacular galaxy. It seems like a difficult target, or at least from a light polluted location it's not easy getting the noise levels down.

I find galaxies tough to process, any feedback much appreciated, getting the colour balance right seems hard for this, I really should look into G2V calibration.

I definitely need more Luminance to drop noise levels at the edges, but do I need to get more colour data too ?

Anyway, here's where I'm at so far with almost 4 hours luminance and 3x90minutes for the RGB, all at 1x1.

First process, the more 'natural' one, I just did a simple colour calibration in pixinsight and didn't try to bring out the dark structures.

8264187478_62b67232ee_c.jpg

Second process is a bit more funky, I went a bit mad in photoshop:

High Pass filters, blended in to bring out 12pix and 70pix structures and blues and reds brought out.

8264187306_e333f0f4d9_c.jpg

I'm happy so far, especially given that I snuck these out over two nights between clouds in pretty woeful conditions.

Oh... did I mention... I love refractors :)

Thanks for looking

A

Anton - you've got to be really pleased with this image, it's a cracker. Of the 2 versions, I edge towards the first one - looks more subtle & natural to my taste, but then others may have a different preference. You've certainly got that refractor & Atik460 singing & dancing though, great work...

I've had another play with the colour balance and I think that's about as good as it'll get with the current data.

I think I might try a night of binned 2x2 RGB on this and really try and strengthen up the colour data.

8263499591_1fc0a307a9_c.jpg

Holy cow Harry, thanks for that, makes a big difference.

I was selecting a few background previews of empty space (aggregated) and dropping a preview over the galaxy centre for the calibration.

Is the 'galaxy method' you mention covered in the Calibration video on your website, or in one of the Galaxy examples ?

I really want to make sure I can get this right.

Did you work any other magic ?

Thanks,

Anton

Brilliant Harry, Thanks.

I think I went through calibration about 5-10 times today and didn't have a single satisfactory result.

I guess I wasn't selecting the whole galaxy, just the core.

I think an hour or so of PI tutorials from your website are in my future,

I also notice a nasty gradient that I didn't see on my other computer so I'll have another processing round tomorrow.

Thanks again

Anton

Thanks James,

I'm going to combine what I did in that image with Harrys tips for better calibration.

I'm going stir crazy from processing..... It's mentally draining! When I close my eyes I see M33, that's how much I've stared at this image today.

It's clear I need more practice on Galaxies, so all this help and feedback much appreciated.

Anton

I really need the practice/tips too... I guess I've had it too easy processing nebulae :)

I find it dead easy to sit out in freezing temperatures collecting data but really struggle to concentrate on the processing...

James

Archived