Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 383L for camera lens photography?

gost

I would like to known if it's possible to use a Atik 383L mono camera with filter wheel with wide field lenses (24 - 50 mm)? I know it's possible to connect them, but do you think it will result in any useful images or isn't the camera suited for that type of focal length?

Today I'm using a DSLR, but I would like to go mono to get more Ha and detail in my images.

DSLR has a 44mm back focus, so DSLR lenses will be expecting this.. older M42 lenses focus a bit further back as they can be fitted to DSLRs with an adapter. The 383 has 17mm back focus, with 25mm for the filter wheel you're looking at 42mm, so there should be sufficient space to do what you want. The only possible gotcha will be the focal ratio of your lenses and the filter sizes.. one more reason to go for 36mm filters.

Derek

Are you sure it's possible to connect them? When I image with a camera lens and my Atik 4000s I haven't room to add a fliterwheel between the lens and the camera and still respect the lens's chip distance.

The QSI with built in compact F/W is ideal from this point of view. Maybe somebody now makes a slim enough adapter? Mine's a geoptik.

CCD pixels tend to be on the large side for widefiled DS imaging but I've used a lens down to 85mm with the larger pixels of the 4000. You'd get a better result with the 8300 ad its smaller pixels. This is a 6 panel mosaic using the 4000s (mono for Ha and OSC). It won't stand much enlargement or it looks very blocky.

Olly

PS Crossed in the post with Derek. How do you attach lens to F/W and how much more back focus does this consume?

ORION%2085MM%20LENS%20HaOSC%206%20PANEL-XL.jpg

Lovely photo Olly, simply amazing!

Ok, then I will have backfocus problem. Nikon also has a 46,5 mm distance, so the camera, filterwheel and Geoptic adapter will be to much.

Is the QSI the only sollution?

There is a very well kept secret when it comes to Imaging cameras. It seems to answer all the cooling, filter, adapter and price concerns people have. It's a secret because it must be the single worst marketed camera on the planet. At Modern Astronomy, for some reason, it's been coming soon for over a year that I know of. The retailers of it don't make a big fuss at all. In fact they don't even advertise the whole range.

On the 8300 chip it uses the cheap 31mm filters, as does the QSI, on the internal filter bodies. It doesn't have the cooling and breakdown problems of the small cylinder cameras because the cooling actually works correctly like the QSI and FLI cameras. The shutter works straight out of the box and doesn't have to be returned 2 or 3 times. It even works all night on 12 volts !

It can have upto a 12 possition external filter if you feel the need.

The only cheaper camera ( 8300 ) I know of is the QHY. I think it's around the same bundle price as the Atik. It used to be cheaper but the retailer hasn't even got it on their site !!

The company produces adapters for most lenses and telescopes, that work, and even the guide cameras have adapters for camera lenses.

They give control and guiding software that looks and performs like Maxim, for free, and the guider algorithms can use the triangulation method.

On an informal noise test on cloudy nights ( 8300 ) it was on average the quietest downloader of all makes the last time I looked.

I wouldn't suggest you buy one though. It's a conversation stopper at star parties because you won't know what the returns policy and problem sorting system is like or what to do if breaks down . Unlike some :)

What is this secret ?

Moravian.

No, no one else knows about them either :)

Dave.

I have no connection with Moravian other than a customer etc etc.

There is a very well kept secret when it comes to Imaging cameras. It seems to answer all the cooling, filter, adapter and price concerns people have. It's a secret because it must be the single worst marketed camera on the planet. At Modern Astronomy, for some reason, it's been coming soon for over a year that I know of. The retailers of it don't make a big fuss at all. In fact they don't even advertise the whole range.

On the 8300 chip it uses the cheap 31mm filters, as does the QSI, on the internal filter bodies. It doesn't have the cooling and breakdown problems of the small cylinder cameras because the cooling actually works correctly like the QSI and FLI cameras. The shutter works straight out of the box and doesn't have to be returned 2 or 3 times. It even works all night on 12 volts !

It can have upto a 12 possition external filter if you feel the need.

The only cheaper camera ( 8300 ) I know of is the QHY. I think it's around the same bundle price as the Atik. It used to be cheaper but the retailer hasn't even got it on their site !!

The company produces adapters for most lenses and telescopes, that work, and even the guide cameras have adapters for camera lenses.

They give control and guiding software that looks and performs like Maxim, for free, and the guider algorithms can use the triangulation method.

On an informal noise test on cloudy nights ( 8300 ) it was on average the quietest downloader of all makes the last time I looked.

I wouldn't suggest you buy one though. It's a conversation stopper at star parties because you won't know what the returns policy and problem sorting system is like or what to do if breaks down . Unlike some :)

What is this secret ?

Moravian.

No, no one else knows about them either :)

Dave.

I have no connection with Moravian other than a customer etc etc.

Dave, the Moravian looks great! Found one here

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4185_Moravian-CCD-Camera-G2-8300---S-W---Chip-D-22-7mm---filter-wheel.html

What do you mean with return policy, are they bad for Moravian? Why wouldn't you suggest buying one? I don't get that sentence. Irony?

Dave, the Moravian looks great! Found one here

http://www.teleskop-...lter-wheel.html

What do you mean with return policy, are they bad for Moravian? Why wouldn't you suggest buying one? I don't get that sentence. Irony?

Errr, yes. Got it in one. Sorry, I'm just too amusing :mad:

It's not missed a beat in over two years so I don't even know how to return it ! What I do know, and this is so often the case, that they answer emails very quickly and in far better English than I posses.

Look into all cameras very carefully. Study the pros and cons.

Dave.

Thanks, they really look compact and that is one thing that is very important for me since I do travel a bit for every photo session.

Some don't like the fact that the internal wheel only takes 5 filters. It seems to be the same with other internal wheels but you must be made aware. Also, some don't like changing filters around.

The external wheels take the Canon adapter as well but of course then the weight and size goes up.

Dave.

If you use a mono CCD camera you'll want at least 7 holes. L R G B Ha OIII SII.

Well, I'm not sure that you need all the filters in all of the time. It's a luxury, maybe, but big filterwheels can be a hassle as well. They can force a meridian flip by threatening to collide with the mount, for instance, when a smaller wheel would slide past.

Personally I only regularly use LRGB, Ha and O111 and I can always swap a filter or two.

Olly

I'm thinking of looking into using camera lenses on my Atik 314l+ with EFW2 filter wheel but haven't got round to working out the measurements yet.

Let us know if you do as I'm thinking of doing the same and you could do all the hard work and thinking stuff that makes my brain hurt :)

I have got a Mogg adapter that connects EFW 1 with my Minitron camera and Canon lenses that works OK.

Dave

Let us know if you do as I'm thinking of doing the same and you could do all the hard work and thinking stuff that makes my brain hurt :)

I have got a Mogg adapter that connects EFW 1 with my Minitron camera and Canon lenses that works OK.

Dave

Yes, I am thinking of doing the same before long - there are a lot of DSOs that are too big for this camera on my ED80. If I can use the FR/FF it would help but using lenses would increase the range enormously. What's a Mogg adapter BTW?

For canon lenses all you need is a t extention and an old tele converter and a lathe and you can make an adaptor of any size right down to about 3 or 4mm thick. it would be even more easy if you have old m48 lenses.

Archived