NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 5/12/12 from Soggy South Somerset

budski

At about 10-30pm last night the transparency around these yer parts improved considerably but was still not up to scratch when you compare it to Darryl's pictures . Anyway, this image is about the best from the bunch - it had a superb Red but the Green and Blue were soft - probably my fault as I just couldn't make it snap into focus. One thing I've noticed about this IDS-NIR camera is how 'hard' it is on certain wavelengths - the GRS looks like it has eyeliner above it and wayward mascara to the left of the Spot.

I've not WinJUPOs'd this effort - just AS!2, Reg6 and aligned the RGB's in Photoshop.

Having seen Pete's superb images from his OneShotColor DFK21-618 I'm interested to see the results from Darryl's review of the ZW Optical OSC camera. It might be the solution for those narrow 'window' nights. Let's hope so....

post-6215-0-90070300-1354825866_thumb.jp

Hi Neil, Pete & James, thank you for your kind words -much appreciated. You're right Neil, I spent an inordinate amount of time processing the data - sometimes to the point when I felt like deleting it all to the Recycle Bin.

Anyway, as goes the old adage says "You only get out what you put in" is never truer than in this part of the operation. OK, I guess I'm not patient enough at times to really get in amongst the weeds - but it's only when you guys produce a masterpiece that motivates me to do better with what I have. I'm honoured to have such acquaintances!

Bud

That's a lovely image Bud - really nice detail in that area immediately behind the GRS "wake" - it takes nice seeing and good capture/processing to pick that out as well as you did: congratulations..!!!

What camera were you using for this capture..?

I don't know whether I'll get to use the OSC ASI120MM on Jupiter.....tonight was a pretty good night and I thought about pulling the mono out and using the colour cam but seeing kept climbing at that point and I thought "nah!"

Whenever I start mucking around seeing takes a nosedive.....I'm hoping something nice comes out of tonight's can but parhaps not quite up to that other night - and at any rate we'll be heading for home after one more imaging session here tomorrow night.....naturally we're hoping for a good one!

I'll definitely employ the OSC on Saturn and give it a proper workout.....and by month's end it'll be up 5 hours or so before the Sun down here in Oz!

Hi Darryl, "...seeing kept climbing..." ....sigh.... the only thing climbing here is the rainwater level (a few miles from my place is a village that's been cut-off from civilisation for the last couple of weeks. It's become an island).

I'm using the IDS UI-3240CP-NIR which utilises the e2v EV76C661 CMOS sensor, USB3 connectivity. It's taken me the best part of 6 months (because of the dreadful weather) to get to grips with it and also because IDS's acquisition software is not Astro-friendly (I'm now using Torsten's FC v2.2 beta capture software). The only problem so far with this camera is that I haven't yet managed to record a single RGB set without one of the colours being soft - hence my enquiry regarding the OSC for those 'variable' nights.

Your image has set a new benchmark, I can tell you!

Regards

Bud

Hi Darryl, "...seeing kept climbing..." ....sigh.... the only thing climbing here is the rainwater level (a few miles from my place is a village that's been cut-off from civilisation for the last couple of weeks. It's become an island).

I'm using the IDS UI-3240CP-NIR which utilises the e2v EV76C661 CMOS sensor, USB3 connectivity. It's taken me the best part of 6 months (because of the dreadful weather) to get to grips with it and also because IDS's acquisition software is not Astro-friendly (I'm now using Torsten's FC v2.2 beta capture software). The only problem so far with this camera is that I haven't yet managed to record a single RGB set without one of the colours being soft - hence my enquiry regarding the OSC for those 'variable' nights.

Your image has set a new benchmark, I can tell you!

Regards

Bud

Only under the best nights will you get the RGBs even in sharpness Bud. And even then most often the red and green will still be superiour. As Darryl mentioned you really have captured a great shot here. I would archive the avi, for later processing attempts, as different things may bring out different perspectives. Its great to see you getting some joy. Keep doing the natural processing feel. it looks so much better.

Hi Neil, yes, it's a good thought regarding archiving the .avi's - I've almost filled up a 1 terrabyte harddrive with mostly below-par captures. If I don't do it now I'll forget which ones are any good or worth a second bash. Also, I think I've sussed out the workings of the IDS camera and how it behaves with FireCapture v2.2 -however, there are still some peculiarities which I don't yet understand and which may have an impact on the camera's performance. I must get back to Torsten to see what he thinks.

In the meanwhile, we've had crystal clear daytime skies here - then clouding over at sunset.

One Bonus: the streetlight outside my house has gone out!

Regards

Bud

Archived