Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Q Turret, can i find a review?

can I flipping hell. I have searched all over and no joy.

Anyway, this is the one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-q-turret.html

My Mrs is asking me what i want for christmas and the functionality of these sounds really good, plus its bang on budget.

Mount up a couple of your most used EP's, maybe your barlows too and simply spin and look, a lot less fidddling around allowing you much more viewing time.

So has anyone got one or does anyone have experience of one.

Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be careful to check that your eyepieces will come to focus with that device in the focuser - I'd not rush into ordering one until I knew that for sure. I've seen turrets used with refractors and SCT's / mak-cassegrains but they have a lot more focus travel than most newtonians.

To be honest, changing an eyepiece is hardly a fiddle either :smiley:

It it really bothers you think about a zoom eyepiece - just a "click" then to change the eyepiece focal length.

PS: You might have a long wait for this item, despite the dealers optimism. The Baader Classic Orthos are part of the same launch and still seem to be away off yet. FLO are going to send me a set + the turret to test when they become available.

They're really not doing well with this, are they? It must be close to nine months since they were announced, at least two dates for availability have passed and and still no sign of them. I'm half-expecting them to just disappear from their website at some point. They must be having some fairly serious problems getting them produced.

James

..... They must be having some fairly serious problems getting them produced.....

Perhaps they are looking for an exclusive deal with a manufacturer like Tele Vue have ?

It must be a bit frustrating to bring a new product to market and then have clones of it popping up all over the place under different branding, sometimes at a lower price too.

I really hope that's not a metaphor, this is a family forum!

hahaha, very droll spec-chum

PS: You might have a long wait for this item, despite the dealers optimism. The Baader Classic Orthos are part of the same launch and still seem to be away off yet. FLO are going to send me a set + the turret to test when they become available.

In that case, i think I shall wait until we have the results of your tests before I decide upon this, thanks for letting us know...

Steve

I've made and used similar items in the distant past, they're OK up to a point if made well but I found that the eyepieces not in use tended to dew up too often. I much prefer a good zoom for convenience. :smiley:

I was thinking of using it more for the Solar System imaging camera and an EP. I know its not too much trouble switching between the two, but I thought something like this would minimise the 'wobble' I get when I've changed an EP. Do you think it would work for this? Or am I just better off saving my money and continuing without it?

Hi Steve, as well as possible focus issues I would be concerned about the eyepieces you are going to use with it. , As i understand it you have four fairly chunky eyepieces ( 2 Baader Hyp's and Cel LX's), will the turret hold these relatively heavy eyepieces safely? They are very different from the ortho's and plossl's that I think the turret was designed for. Just a thought.

Hi Steve, as well as possible focus issues I would be concerned about the eyepieces you are going to use with it. , As i understand it you have four fairly chunky eyepieces ( 2 Baader Hyp's and Cel LX's), will the turret hold these relatively heavy eyepieces safely? They are very different from the ortho's and plossl's that I think the turret was designed for. Just a thought.

I was thinking that to be fair. I think even 4 BSTs would struggle.

Saying that, the pic does show it with a camera attached...

Those cameras aren't very heavy though, are they? Around 150g?

I went to FLO's site to see if I could find the weight and noticed that almost all the IS cameras are out of stock, which is odd...

James

Very good point there and never actually considered the weight issue. I think I am a deffo waiting until John has had the set to test and let us know his findings. I will keep it on my wish list but also on the wait list.

Thanks for pointing that out

Steve

Those cameras aren't very heavy though, are they? Around 150g?

Approx 240g (with nosepiece)

I went to FLO's site to see if I could find the weight and noticed that almost all the IS cameras are out of stock, which is odd...

It's a busy time of year :smiley:

We have more scheduled to arrive Monday, including the DMK21-618 and DFK21-618.

Archived