NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 first time guided

kirkster501

HI guys,

here is a go at M33 last night - moon was up so spoilt it and washed the exposures out. I am very VERY pleased with the guiding. I would have expected to throw half of the subs away without the guiding - ssssooooooooo pleased !!!!!!! :) Steve Richards is spot on in his book about get guiding as soon as you can.

ED80 with FR/FF. 29 x 2mins, 5 x darks, 6 x flats on modded 450d

post-16295-0-48906300-1354450826_thumb.j

I think more flats and darks were required on this, Also, I am urgently in need of a good LP filter.

This is my best looking image to date and first image ever guided, with flats and with a FR/FF. I have deliberately left it wide-field for your inspection and comments about the guiding.

Comments, advice and critique welcomed please :)

Rgds, Steve

Good job! Looks really well defined in spite of light pollution.

Maybe longer subs than 2 minutes will bring out more detials since you are guiding. People seem to say that galaxies like these need longer exposures. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to add more darks/flats and maybe bias since they're quick to make.

There seems to be color information in there, I dont know how much you tried to pry it out, but my gut feeling tells me you might be able to coax some more colors from it.

Keep up the good work, you're really getting there!

Looks like your almost there Steve, focus and guiding looks good, as the other guys have already said, up the sub time, just

keep a eye on the LP as unfortunately they work hand in hand , ultimately you are looking for good signal to noise ratio,

as a increase in exposure time will get more of the light you want from the Galaxy it will also get you the light you don't want

(light pollution) A LP filter would do the trick enabling you to really get the benefit of guiding and the longer sub times.

Great work Steve,

Paul

Thanks for the feedback guys - I appreciate it.

I forgot to say I did use Bias frames as well.

I am amazed the difference the FR/FF and the guiding makes - its utterly astonishing the difference.

If I wanted to add data to this can I just grab a load more subs/darks etc and go again or must they all be done in one sitting? How would you pool the darks and flats etc if you can do this please?

Rgds, Steve

Wow - that's much tighter than your previous unguided effort :) I know it's the standard response if you haven't got as much out of your image but more time is nearly always better :-)

That said you have 29 subs which is no mean number.. Now that you are guiding, and if you can wait until the moon gets out the way can you push the exposures up to 3 mins?

James

Archived