Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first 3 moon pictures newtonian and digital coolpix camera

jasonT-5

Very nice! I took my first image with my digital point and shoot too. :) You can see it in my avatar, although it was taken through my 10x50 binos...

Can't wait to see what I can do a scope! Well done, may I ask what camera you used? I have a Samsung PL211. Thank you. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :) appreciated..

The camera is a coolpix 12 or 14 megapixel :) its managed to take a few good pictures of Jupiter and saturn too although i couldnt seem to get the settings right to show detail on Jupiter that my eye could see, probably to bright. Ill keep playing.

I also have an Olympus E430 DSLR to play with now :)

Thanks

Jason

Thanks for the comments everyone :) appreciated..

The camera is a coolpix 12 or 14 megapixel :) its managed to take a few good pictures of Jupiter and saturn too although i couldnt seem to get the settings right to show detail on Jupiter that my eye could see, probably to bright. Ill keep playing.

I also have an Olympus E430 DSLR to play with now :)

Thanks

Jason

Hi Jason,

I did the usual things before the webcam attempts took over, and one thing I found for both moon and jupiter was to record a few mins just like a webcam, if it isnt already in avi format use a converter program. Registax responds pretty well to any avi and turning movies into still shots can sometimes result in a little extra detail coming through.

You'd need a steady hand - not a problem going by your first pics :) - and alot of magnification with the settings low on brightness (as you noticed too) and clip a few hundred frames of the best footage, see what happens.

apologies if it doesnt work, but its often an option snapshot owners forget about, might be worth a try.

edit: just seen u have a dslr now, nice one, the above could still be an option but obviously there are now better ones :) all the best...

Regards

Aenima

Hi Jason,

I did the usual things before the webcam attempts took over, and one thing I found for both moon and jupiter was to record a few mins just like a webcam, if it isnt already in avi format use a converter program. Registax responds pretty well to any avi and turning movies into still shots can sometimes result in a little extra detail coming through.

You'd need a steady hand - not a problem going by your first pics :) - and alot of magnification with the settings low on brightness (as you noticed too) and clip a few hundred frames of the best footage, see what happens.

apologies if it doesnt work, but its often an option snapshot owners forget about, might be worth a try.

edit: just seen u have a dslr now, nice one, the above could still be an option but obviously there are now better ones :) all the best...

Regards

Aenima

Thank you for the advise ill definitely give it a go :) always looking to have a play around with something new. Thats where the DSLR comes in, it'll we used in the 130mm Newtonian on an eq2 so a very basic lighter setup but im really only aiming to get improved pictures of objects such as Jupiter, Saturn and the moon, that will keep me happy.

And ive been enjoying using the DSLR for taking pictures of the sky through its own lense, ive been trying to get away to a dark site to get rid of the light pollution on the pictures ive taken but ive managed a few picture revealing M31 and i got a nice picture of the Jupiter, Venus and the Moon when they closed right up earlier on this year :)

thanks

Jason

Thank you for the advise ill definitely give it a go :) always looking to have a play around with something new. Thats where the DSLR comes in, it'll we used in the 130mm Newtonian on an eq2 so a very basic lighter setup but im really only aiming to get improved pictures of objects such as Jupiter, Saturn and the moon, that will keep me happy.

And ive been enjoying using the DSLR for taking pictures of the sky through its own lense, ive been trying to get away to a dark site to get rid of the light pollution on the pictures ive taken but ive managed a few picture revealing M31 and i got a nice picture of the Jupiter, Venus and the Moon when they closed right up earlier on this year :)

thanks

Jason

Sounds good, a usual lens works great when you use eq mounts - i'm wondering whether you use tracking and what exposure times but if you have a dslr then putting it direct on the scope and aim for some DSO's. You would be using major skill with the smaller mount to combat trailing and you have gotten great shots with the moon - i'd definitely like to see what happens there. :)

I'm still learning a lot of new stuff and just looking around seeing amazing shots and realised its not easy...

All the best

Aenima

Archived