Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yet Another Observatory Build Thread

r3i

Like most people I'm still waiting for a good spell of clear weather to actually make some good use of my grand design :smile:.

Whilst the wait continues, I've installed a weather station in the observatory. It's just one of those low cost Fine Offset/Maplin/Watson devices, a W-8681. I'm not expecting a hyper-accurate record from it but hopefully it will give some useful information. I'm particularly interested in how cold/humid the interior of the observatory will get and whether I need to invest in a de-humidifier. Does anyone know how high the humidity percentage can get to inside before counter-measures need to be deployed?

post-5202-0-90722100-1364137002_thumb.jp

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one of those plus bits of a second. It's not working ATM. I recommend Cumulus software by SandaySoft to use with it. And there's lots of info both about Cumulus and this and other weather stations on the SandaySoft message board. http://sandaysoft.com/forum/

I can give you tips for improving the accuracy of the readings if you like (particularly wind, temperature and rainfall).

I've got one of those plus bits of a second. It's not working ATM. I recommend Cumulus software by SandaySoft to use with it. And there's lots of info both about Cumulus and this and other weather stations on the SandaySoft message board. http://sandaysoft.com/forum/

I can give you tips for improving the accuracy of the readings if you like (particularly wind, temperature and rainfall).

Hi Gina,

Yes I've already got Cumulus up and running and uploading data to my intranet web server. Very good piece of software and a very informative forum - a bit like SGL for weather :smile:

Any hints and tips would be appreciated - I'm very much a weather station newbie. Not sure about the long term durability of the sensors given the low cost of the station - I've already had to dismantle the wind direction sensor as the bearing was sticking - a squirt of WD40 seems to have done the trick.

Hi Gina,

Yes I've already got Cumulus up and running and uploading data to my intranet web server. Very good piece of software and a very informative forum - a bit like SGL for weather :smile:

Any hints and tips would be appreciated - I'm very much a weather station newbie. Not sure about the long term durability of the sensors given the low cost of the station - I've already had to dismantle the wind direction sensor as the bearing was sticking - a squirt of WD40 seems to have done the trick.

Good :) There are tips on the SandySoft site and on my weather website (if I've still got it running - can't remember - must give astronomy a rest and sort out weather :D)

Anyway, here's a few suggestions :-

1. Wind measuring instruments want to be as high as possible to avoid turbulence around buildings
  2. Temperature and humidity sensor plus transmitter box would be best on the north side of a building to avoid direct sunlight - the screen supplied is pretty poor.
  3. Rain gauge is best about 2ft above ground away from buildings that would give a rain shadow and from turbulent air currents which blow the rain out of the funnel, giving a low reading.

I can add more later plus some ideas of how to achieve the above as it's not that easy.

Good :) There are tips on the SandySoft site and on my weather website (if I've still got it running - can't remember - must give astronomy a rest and sort out weather :D)

Anyway, here's a few suggestions :-

1. Wind measuring instruments want to be as high as possible to avoid turbulence around buildings
  2. Temperature and humidity sensor plus transmitter box would be best on the north side of a building to avoid direct sunlight - the screen supplied is pretty poor.
  3. Rain gauge is best about 2ft above ground away from buildings that would give a rain shadow and from turbulent air currents which blow the rain out of the funnel, giving a low reading.

I can add more later plus some ideas of how to achieve the above as it's not that easy.

Thanks Gina. :icon_salut:

Not sure about the long term durability of the sensors given the low cost of the station - I've already had to dismantle the wind direction sensor as the bearing was sticking - a squirt of WD40 seems to have done the trick.

I had one of those Maplins weather stations. The anamometer bearing disintegrated after 6 months- but it is an exposed site.

I had one of those Maplins weather stations. The anamometer bearing disintegrated after 6 months- but it is an exposed site.

Could be a common problem: http://www.digitalham.co.uk/weather/equipment/watson-w8681/wind-speed/

Will just have to see how it goes - suppose you get what you pay for. I originally bought the version that had the solar powered sensors but that packed in after just 2 days of testing indoors. After reading on the Sandaysoft forum about reliability issues with the solar ones I sent it back and bought the basic version instead.

They can last several years in fact and there are things you can do to improve them. My anemometer and wind vane are still running fine at the top of a 6m (20ft) mast but I need to do some maintenance on the transmitter unit. All my modifications, trials and tribulations with the Fine Offset station are on the SandaySoft forums.

I am also developing my own home made weather station based on the Arduino with 1-wire sensors and others such as the DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor. This is still a long way from completion though. I have a thread here in the DIY Astronomer forum (I think) about it as well as on SandaySoft Forums.

They can last several years in fact and there are things you can do to improve them.

That's good to hear - I'll have to join the SandaySoft forum and do some reading.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great result Mike. Well done.  How's it doing now its had another winter on it?

Thanks Steve.

Bit late in replying, only just seen your post - the observatory has been up and running for 18 months now, and so far so good.  

Only a couple of niggles: I got a little bit of water coming in at the bottom of the fold down flap but the fitting of a length of wood to deflect it away resolved that. Also the warm room roof has sagged slightly so when it rains, it leaves a small puddle on the roof.  I think this was due to the fact I only used 6mm ply on the roof - in hindsight I should have gone for something a lot thicker.  Fortunately no water is getting inside, the rubber roof is doing a great job.

Archived