NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet Another Observatory Build Thread

r3i

It's quite easy to make a rolling roof 'captive' and probably a good idea to do so. You could have the rolling sides come down below the level of the fixed ones and then have a strip coming inwards under a batten on the fixed sides, for instance.

BTW, I love Laser_jock99's observatory! So classy...

Olly

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's quite easy to make a rolling roof 'captive' and probably a good idea to do so. You could have the rolling sides come down below the level of the fixed ones and then have a strip coming inwards under a batten on the fixed sides, for instance.

BTW, I love Laser_jock99's observatory! So classy...

Olly

That's a good idea about keeping the roof captive - thanks, must build that into my design as I think I'll need plenty of belts and braces on securing the roof.

Yes, LJ's observatory looks magnificent.

ah, a winter build.good luck with it, i'll be following :grin: i have one planned but still waiting to move house :embarassed: but any day now.

Thanks Tony - Bet you can't wait to move.

Maybe it would have been better to wait until the spring/summer to build but I simply couldn't wait :smile:. It has meant that I only get the weekends to work on it so progress will be slow, but in some ways that's not such a bad thing as it stops me getting 'building fatigue' and it gives a bit of a break and some thinking time between sessions so I can mull over what needs to be done next.

Thanks Tony - Bet you can't wait to move.

Maybe it would have been better to wait until the spring/summer to build but I simply couldn't wait :smile:. It has meant that I only get the weekends to work on it so progress will be slow, but in some ways that's not such a bad thing as it stops me getting 'building fatigue' and it gives a bit of a break and some thinking time between sessions so I can mull over what needs to be done next.

should have been in a month ago :cry: but should in be by xmas anyway.

i work shifts so i have the mornings when on late shift as well as weekends, weather permitting of course. :grin:

Made some more progress today and yet again got finished in the failing light. I've completed the internal partition wall between the warm room & the observing area and also the warm room end wall where the door will be. Took Malc-C's advice and put angled bracing on each wall section which has made the structure feel quite rigid.

post-5202-0-30982600-1354471015_thumb.jp

Finally decided on using EDPM rubber for the roof sections and this arrived during the week. I'm going to have a pent roof over the warm room - what is the gradient that I should aim for? I think as things currently stand I am looking at a 1 in 25 gradient but wonder if it needs to be steeper?

Made some more progress today and yet again got finished in the failing light. I've completed the internal partition wall between the warm room & the observing area and also the warm room end wall where the door will be. Took Malc-C's advice and put angled bracing on each wall section which has made the structure feel quite rigid.

post-5202-0-30982600-1354471015_thumb.jp

Finally decided on using EDPM rubber for the roof sections and this arrived during the week. I'm going to have a pent roof over the warm room - what is the gradient that I should aim for? I think as things currently stand I am looking at a 1 in 25 gradient but wonder if it needs to be steeper?

The EDPM roofing is designed for flat roofs so 1:25 will be fine. For comparison, drainage for surface and grey water only has to have a 1:100 fall and solids 1:40. You'll be fine with that gradient. :)

The EDPM roofing is designed for flat roofs so 1:25 will be fine. For comparison, drainage for surface and grey water only has to have a 1:100 fall and solids 1:40. You'll be fine with that gradient. :)

Excellent - thank you very much for that information. :icon_salut:

Thats some amazing progess you've made there Mike:) I too took Malcs advice and added some angled bracing too mine, he said as well as firming up the structure it would help stop gaps appearing in the cladding with the seasonal movement.

Thats some amazing progess you've made there Mike:) I too took Malcs advice and added some angled bracing too mine, he said as well as firming up the structure it would help stop gaps appearing in the cladding with the seasonal movement.

That's interesting about the cladding - a friend of mine used shiplap on a shed a year or two ago and was disappointed to find that he ended up with gaps between some of the rows of cladding as the wood shrunk.

That's interesting about the cladding - a friend of mine used shiplap on a shed a year or two ago and was disappointed to find that he ended up with gaps between some of the rows of cladding as the wood shrunk.

Shiplap should be called Sh*tlap in reality, your far better off using beech or Ash Tongue and Groove that is properly weather sealed.

Shiplap should be called Sh*tlap in reality, your far better off using beech or Ash Tongue and Groove that is properly weather sealed.

Is feather edge a viable alternative? It appears to be significantly cheaper but is it a false economy?

I would only want to use T&G myself, and I woudn't go any thinner than 12mm, a lot of people have used 18mm. Isn't feather board just a rustic version of shiplap?

Good quality shiplap is fine - made from American redwood. Fethere-edge is generally rubbish - only suitable for fences and cheap sheds.

Many thanks for the feedback, will go with shiplap.

An alternative is weatherboard which is sometimes sold as shiplap but is far superior. Rather than a tongue and groove it has a rebate behind the thicker edge of the board which then tapers towards the top - the rebate fits over the edge of the board below and the taper helps shed water. Don't scrimp on thickness - the thicker the timber, the more dimensionally stable it'll be. Also, fit a breathable membrane between the cladding and the frame.

An alternative is weatherboard which is sometimes sold as shiplap but is far superior. Rather than a tongue and groove it has a rebate behind the thicker edge of the board which then tapers towards the top - the rebate fits over the edge of the board below and the taper helps shed water. Don't scrimp on thickness - the thicker the timber, the more dimensionally stable it'll be. Also, fit a breathable membrane between the cladding and the frame.

Thanks - I've got some membrane to go in between.

Today I managed to get the warm room roof done. Nailed plywood onto support beams then covered with the EDPM rubber. Was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the rubber in place.

post-5202-0-56740800-1354989260_thumb.jp

Just have to say how good your obs is coming on fantastic :blob1:

I've got to second Stuarts sentiments, you don't hang about do you:D and its looking really good! I'm a bit concerned about one thing though are you sure ship lap will be weather tight enough and match the A1 job you've done so far?

Just have to say how good your obs is coming on fantastic :blob1:

I've got to second Stuarts sentiments, you don't hang about do you:D and its looking really good! I'm a bit concerned about one thing though are you sure ship lap will be weather tight enough and match the A1 job you've done so far?

Thanks gents.

With reference to the shiplap, I'm going to have a vapour barrier in between the frame and the shiplap, so hoping that will afford sufficient protection from the elements - guess only time will tell.

Archived