NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet Another Observatory Build Thread

r3i

Thanks - great idea. I'll see how persistent and extensive the sagging turns out to be, but definitely will bear it in mind if remedial work turns out to be required, I should have plenty of head room to implement that. How much of an arc would you recommend? For example, my warm room is probably about 2.3m wide internally, how high should the top of arch be above each of the ends?

I think a bit of trial and error, but the strength is in the arch not how thick it is (with in reason) so if you can get away with 18" down the sides in my minds eye that would look about right, wide spans on bridges ect don't always have a good curve to them, and they support a lot more than snow..>:)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't had a great deal of time lately to move progress forward but have managed to complete the electric 'first fix'.

Also following on from the recent 'snow test' the observatory has had in the last 24 hours a strong winds and lashing rain test, which I'm relieved to say it survived - no flying roof and no rain ingress.

Haven't had a great deal of time lately to move progress forward but have managed to complete the electric 'first fix'.

Also following on from the recent 'snow test' the observatory has had in the last 24 hours a strong winds and lashing rain test, which I'm relieved to say it survived - no flying roof and no rain ingress.

Glad to hear your build is keeping the elements at bay.

im very impressed lad! I moved to Devon from Yorkshire and admire the required sturdiness (?) of your yorkshire obs!!

Im jealous, i will never build one at this house as i live in a valley and my garden is 100ft long but higher than my house at its end! I look forward to seeing your finished build and pics! Please spare a thought for us poor souls in gloves stood on patios!!

im very impressed lad! I moved to Devon from Yorkshire and admire the required sturdiness (?) of your yorkshire obs!!

Im jealous, i will never build one at this house as i live in a valley and my garden is 100ft long but higher than my house at its end! I look forward to seeing your finished build and pics! Please spare a thought for us poor souls in gloves stood on patios!!

Thanks cheb :smile:

I built my obsy into a hillside- took me while but we did it!

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/ASTRONOMICAL/Cambrian%20Mountains%20Observatory/?start=all

cheers laser jock, that really rubs salt in the wound! Im not lucky enough to have the open views you have at your site! In the summer we lose direct sunshine at 6.45 so i really dont have enough sky to get the veg patch dug up and the as r3i puts it necessary planning permission from the missus!! Im only young(ish) so i theres a move or two left in me i think, so its still on the cards!!

cheers laser jock, that really rubs salt in the wound! Im not lucky enough to have the open views you have at your site! In the summer we lose direct sunshine at 6.45 so i really dont have enough sky to get the veg patch dug up and the as r3i puts it necessary planning permission from the missus!! Im only young(ish) so i theres a move or two left in me i think, so its still on the cards!!

Yes it's often a waiting game until hopefully the opportunity to build one presents itself - if/when it does I'm sure you won't hesitate. :smile:

All electrical work now completed: red & white lights on dimmers in both the warm room and the scope room; 2 double sockets in the warm room and a weatherproof double socket in the scope.

Temporarily connected everything up to check the wiring prior to boarding out the interior and was relieved to find it all worked.

post-5202-0-76680200-1359814444_thumb.jp

what did you decide on the electrical circuit ?

i decide to make it as easy as possiable and ran a 16 amp extension cable from a protected RCD circuit in the garage to a radial circiut in the obsy which has 4 double sockets on it, for lighting i`m going to use those clip on jobs you get for tents which have red lights on them as used at starpartys and plug into the mains. i can then move them about if needed.

what did you decide on the electrical circuit ?

i decide to make it as easy as possiable and ran a 16 amp extension cable from a protected RCD circuit in the garage to a radial circiut in the obsy which has 4 double sockets on it, for lighting i`m going to use those clip on jobs you get for tents which have red lights on them as used at starpartys and plug into the mains. i can then move them about if needed.

SWA cable was run underground and terminated in the observatory to a 2-way garage consumer unit with built in RCD. In the CU there are 2 MCBs: a 6A for the lights and a 16A for the sockets.

At the house end the cable goes into a fused spur at the back of the garage, then from the spur I have a flex with a normal 13A plug on it that plugs into a socket on the house ring main, i.e. it works like a glorified extension cable. I got the idea from this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43000-cable-run-to-obs/

Thanks for that link

SWA cable was run underground and terminated in the observatory to a 2-way garage consumer unit with built in RCD. In the CU there are 2 MCBs: a 6A for the lights and a 16A for the sockets.

At the house end the cable goes into a fused spur at the back of the garage, then from the spur I have a flex with a normal 13A plug on it that plugs into a socket on the house ring main, i.e. it works like a glorified extension cable. I got the idea from this thread: http://stargazerslou...ble-run-to-obs/

This is pretty much what I'm going to do for mine - cable into back porch rather than garage. Thanks for the link - nice to know that this way is legal without certification :)

More gusty winds forecast for the next 24 hours, so the paranoia in me has added some belts and braces to keeping the rolling roof from going airborne in the shape of a pair of 'endless ratchet straps':

post-5202-0-43092000-1359906742_thumb.jppost-5202-0-31956100-1359906835_thumb.jp

I'd be a bit worried that this might put a little too much pressure on the castors...

The tension I've applied isn't massive, but I acknowledge you could easily overdo it. I'm not sure how long my paranoia will last and it's probably not necessary, but I'm still in the stage of assessing the strength of the winds that we get around these parts. I'm going to be installing a weather station once the rest of the build is done.

• 2 weeks later...

A milestone moment - although still lots to be done, tonight is the very first time that the observatory is operational! :blob7: Like almost everyone else tonight I'm hoping for a view of Asteroid 2012 DA14.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there now. Internal walls have been boarded out with insulation inside the warm room walls and ceiling. I've gone the same way as others and used those foam interlocking tiles on the floor - I can see why they're popular as they're cheap, dead easy to fit and provide a lot of cushioning which is handy as I'm always dropping stuff. I've built a rudimentary desk in the warm room from a piece of MDF and some wood off-cuts - not pretty but should do the job.

post-5202-0-89114100-1362253465_thumb.jp

And finally got some scope gear in - though I think I should tidy up the wires a bit.

post-5202-0-92998000-1362253559_thumb.jp

Archived