SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'm a wimp

Joguj

I woke up at 3am for a quick pee and had a look outside, it looked astonishing! Jupiter and Orion in a very deep black sky, it was probably the best conditions I"ve seen from my back yard. What did I do? Back to bed of course. Wish I had taken the opportunity now and accepted being shattered all day at work.

Maybe next time...

I understand your stress. I recently realised I get all anxious about the weather when we have so few nice days. With this lesson learned I decided to take the zen route and sit inside and do much needed housework the last time I had good skies.

So even if it seems hopeless, don't feel bad for missing an opportunity, the stars aren't going anywhere.

I was in a similar position last night. Having suffered the torrential rain and high winds battering the west country this week, I looked out of the bathroom window at about 4am and half the sky was beautifully clear, with Orion and Jupiter heading around towards the south west. Totally impractical to go out though. It's an utter mudbath outside, not to mention that I needed the sleep.

James

Its a hard call, I would have used my bins hanging out of the window just to stay a tad warmer, then back to sleep.

I think thats the best plan. I"ll be sure to take the bins to bed with me at night time.

That's happened to me many times letting the dogs out. I enjoy it for a minute and back to bed. If I'm not working I can stay up all night until morning with the scope, but can't drag myself out in the early hours (unless I'm camping at a star party when I'm cold and uncomfortable anyway!).

With Velux windows upstairs it's easy for me to grab a pair of bins for a 'quick look'. Luckily they face north and south to afford great views and after midnight the street lights are turned off as well.

My wife has bought me a quilted jacket and trousers to pull on quickly, lest I get a chill. Now all I need is to teach her how to make coffee.

I find it's these stolen moments when seeing is good and everything comes together for a brief period, these moments (often alone) make astronomy worth the wait.

Archived