SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wish i had a "grab and go"

Vince1963

Mine is here....http://stargazerslou...b-mount-build/ but if you look through the section on diy astronomer there are others.. Moonshane has a couple of good threads about dob builds.. If I can help I will so feel free to pm me.. :)

That's a pretty good job there... I like that, don't think mine would be as good as that though lol. :smiley:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Skywatcher 250PX DOB. I can easily carry it out of the house into the garden in a couple of minutes & it's ready to use. On occasion I've taken it back into the house ,eg if it starts to rain ,& taken it out again later. That's what I call grab'n'go without any compromise on size ! I just love it :laugh:

Hi Robbie, can you recommend the meade 70etx, what's the image like?... :smiley:

Hi Vince I haven't had it long but I'v found it not to bad the image is pretty good but you have to remember its only a small scope but saying that I'v seen m31 & m42 with it its pretty good on planets the only thing I will say is the motors are a bit noisy and I might be wrong but I think most people say meade scopes are like that

I have built a grab and go set up using the following:-

1. An existing fairly robust photo tripod

2. Opticstar AR80S http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_52

3. An Ascension ALTAZ head http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?p=0_10_5_1_1_110

The set up is quite light and works well with the refractor - I have used the mount fairly successfully with my S/W Mak 127 for planetary - although it really could do with a firmer tripod.

I am also considering using the tripod and mount as a platform for the binocs.

Hope this helps

I have the ETX105 premium. Cracking little scope great for just grabbing two buttons and 2 minutes for it to align and off I go. I have the 12" dob whichto be honest is not that long to be up an running with. Put my own circle and an inclinometer so its a quick alignment really. I tend to spend a bit longer on objects with the dob. I do a quick tonights best tour on the etx. The 105 is at the limit of being portable through most of the forum reading. Getting the back pack for it and the reason for getting it was if we were going camping I can through it in the car. As a grab and go its bang on, portable, great optics. The 125 will be a great bit of kit but most recon the 125 is too big to be described as portable. The etx80 gets bad reviews 90, 105, 125 in the etx range. £300-£400 for the 105 premium.

I decided a while back that views through anything with any CA at all and aperture of less than 6" left me unsatisfied. I therefore have three scopes, all dobs which are all as far as I am concerned grab and go. 6" f11, 12" f4 (will be a dob one day) and a 16" f4. Personally I think that a 6" f5 is a really superb scope to have as a dob and really is ready to work immediately at low powers. many of the cheap wide field refractors give OK images but get harder to manage than a 6" f5 dob about about 100mm I feel. and guess what, cheaper refractors work at (you guessed it) low powers.

I have a Skywatcher 250PX DOB. I can easily carry it out of the house into the garden in a couple of minutes & it's ready to use. On occasion I've taken it back into the house ,eg if it starts to rain ,& taken it out again later. That's what I call grab'n'go without any compromise on size ! I just love it :laugh:

Like this:

Image0166-1.jpgImage0167.jpg

I have to agree with Bat and Pete any dob is as quick as you will ever get setup with any scope, take it out put it down and your off. When I just want to get a quick look although my star hopping skills are coming along and the telrad makes a big difference I have to use my brain a bit. It does not take long align the dob and use as a push to again making it quick to locate. If it is breezy or short window eg impending clouds or scattered clouds or mainly just want to have a lazy session (press button whirring noise, there it is!) where I take my brain out then the 105 comes into play. I too keep my kit in garage so cooling not an issue.

Archived