Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wish i had a "grab and go"

Vince1963

Hi SGL fans. As i seem to get up at all hours of the night, Its now that i wish i had a "grab and go" scope for obvious reasons. I find it really frustrating to not be able to look deep into the sky at a moments notice. Don't get me wrong i wouldn't change my scope that i have ( unless its for a bigger one)... Its just that its a clat to drag it out and set up and then cool down especially it sparrows fart in the morning lol. the only other solution is an observatory...Yeah like i can afford that... Does anyone else feel lie this or am i just a winger lol :huh:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree with you Vince. At the moment, most of my observing seems to be with binoculars or my little WO66 which I can get out and setup in a few minutes with zero cool down time. Don't seem to have the time for anything else.

How about a little ST80 or similar as a grab and go?

Stu

Know what you mean sometimes I don't get time to get all my gear out especially if I'v been out for the night so got myself a meade 70etx so if I'v been doing something or been out for the night I can have a quick session without having to get everything out :smiley:

It is the old pair of arguements:

Aperture is king, or,

Your best scope is the one you use the most.

Unless you have one scope it seems normal that the most used is often the smaller scope, simply because they are quicker and easier to use. Does seem a shame that when someone asks for a first scope this ease/quickness of use is ignored, as to me something that can be used quickly and easily is more relevant to a beginner then anything. If it is not so easy they drop the hobby.

We have a 100mm refractor as our grab and go, that can be in action within minutes. It's not so good for the faint stuff, so we're hoping to get a shed (obsy is not going to happen for us either, sadly, it would be awesome!) so we can store our solid tube dob in it so it's cooled down already. The other night I got caught out when it cleared towards midnight and I would have loved to have got a dob out there ready to go in under ten mintues!

Would a 100mm Tal tempt you? I haven't used one but it sounds like it's good bang for buck :

http://www.astro-bab...00RS Review.htm

With our climate, something that can be set up and taken in quickly is almost essential to getting much observing done I reckon. I find a 4" ED F/6.5 refractor on an AZ-4 mount fits the bill nicely :smiley:

I'm the same as I'd like a grab & go unfortunately setting mine up means lugging it all downstairs from a flat & putting it up in the garden. I have an ST80 though so maybe another mount wouldn't go a miss. I do go out with the bins if we get a clear spot though so all is not lost.

I have just built a dob base for my newt, best thing I have done for myself this year. I got in last night at half seven threw the dinner on and was set up in under 2 mins, as easy as getting a shower.

I see you have a 200p. Is this something you could consider doing for yourself? Well worth the trouble I reckon..

:)

How about a little ST80 or similar as a grab and go?

Stu

Hi Stu... I don't know much about them are they any good?, I have been seriously thinking about one of these though, What do you think?. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-120-az3.html nice short F/length and big aperture, I think good for nebula's and clusters... what you reckon? :smiley:

Know what you mean sometimes I don't get time to get all my gear out especially if I'v been out for the night so got myself a meade 70etx so if I'v been doing something or been out for the night I can have a quick session without having to get everything out :smiley:

Hi Robbie, can you recommend the meade 70etx, what's the image like?... :smiley:

We have a 100mm refractor as our grab and go, that can be in action within minutes. It's not so good for the faint stuff, so we're hoping to get a shed (obsy is not going to happen for us either, sadly, it would be awesome!) so we can store our solid tube dob in it so it's cooled down already. The other night I got caught out when it cleared towards midnight and I would have loved to have got a dob out there ready to go in under ten mintues!

Would a 100mm Tal tempt you? I haven't used one but it sounds like it's good bang for buck :

http://www.astro-bab...00RS Review.htm

Hi Luke they are great value.. Not sure its right for me though as i like nebula's and clusters, i think the Tal is more for your planets and moon :smiley:

With our climate, something that can be set up and taken in quickly is almost essential to getting much observing done I reckon. I find a 4" ED F/6.5 refractor on an AZ-4 mount fits the bill nicely :smiley:

Yeah nice one John... There a bit out of my budget though :embarassed:

That's the bigger brother of the ST80. Never used one, but for low to mid power stuff on clusters etc it would be fine. Biggest issue with short focal length achromatic is the chromatic aberration on brighter objects, planets and moon etc. Some people don't mind it, others can't get on with it. You can buy 'fringe killer' filters which reduce it. Maybe worth some other opinions or having a look through one before buying

Stu

I have just built a dob base for my newt, best thing I have done for myself this year. I got in last night at half seven threw the dinner on and was set up in under 2 mins, as easy as getting a shower.

I see you have a 200p. Is this something you could consider doing for yourself? Well worth the trouble I reckon..

Have you got any plans or a picture you could send me or share as that could be the way to go as I never thought of building one of those. My DIY skills are somewhat limited

Hi... It is an option but not one for me i'm afraid, I'd still have to lug it down stairs at silly o'clock and then it would have to cool down outside for a while not something i want to do at 4am lol. :smiley:

Hi stu thanks for that... chromatic aberration is something i never thought about. Although i generally go for nebula's and the like, Its still worth bearing in mind, I want something that would be a good al-rounder :smiley:

It's just worth bearing mind as it is more noticeable on the short focal ratios. The TAL for instance has a reputation for very good colour correction but has a significantly higher focal ratio.

Don't write the 120 off though, having no central obstruction, the contrast will be good and given that you favour nebulae and clusters it may be fine. As I said before, try to have a look through one, or seek some opinion from someone with direct experience of one.

Cheers

Stu

I've hopefully just got a baby ETX70 AT for €90 as a grab and go for camping more than anything else. Even has goto, as I imagine an RDF would topple it. When we camp, the car is jammed to the roof, so I thought the ETX70, while not having much aperture, will be handy and allow me to wander off near the camping sites for a quick session before I go back to our tent and develop chronic back pain during the night sleeping on those rubbish beds. The things we do for the kids.....and an excuse for a BBQ and beers under the stars....

I like the sound of that... Bear... BBQ and star gazing...lol. Looks like your getting a great collection of optics there Bart... you'll have to let me know how you get on with the Meade ETX70, Especially with regards to clusters and nebula's. :smiley:

Have you got any plans or a picture you could send me or share as that could be the way to go as I never thought of building one of those. My DIY skills are somewhat limited

Mine is here....http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/167786-dob-mount-build/ but if you look through the section on diy astronomer there are others.. Moonshane has a couple of good threads about dob builds.. If I can help I will so feel free to pm me..:)

Yes, the etx 125 is a mak-cassegrain and is f15 from what I've read. Not good for wide field stuff which interests you more, and will need some cool down time too. Don't think it is for you.

Stu

Thanks Stu.. Will skip that one then :embarrassed:

Archived