NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Eclipse from Palm Cove Australia

Dielectric

Hi there

This was my best effort through a modest Canon 650 D. Was trying to get the diamond ring effect and just caught it in the final phase. This was my first ever total eclipse and it blew me away on many levels. Photos aside, there is no substitute for actually being there.

Cheers

Arif :grin:post-5439-0-02418000-1352968502_thumb.jp

Fantastic shot and nice place to go at this time of the year. I went to France in 99 to see the eclipse, a week of solid sunshine until the morning of the eclipse and then overcast. We caught the odd view of the sun up to just before the diamond ring and never saw it again all day. I would still like to see one for proper.

I took some photos on film whilst my brother projected the sun on to card. The french kids thought it was so good they brought their grandfather across to see it. It went very dark at totality and then after it was all over one of the french kids asked us to pop over to his grandfather's caravan. Turns out the grandfather was so impressed and he owned a vineyard he had some bottles of his special champagn he wanted to share with us. Not much observing of any kind was done that afternoon, other than yes please, in french of course.

Really humbled by your flattering comments. It was a chance moment in time that simply paid off. Right place at the right time which so very very very nearly may been hampered by swathes of neighbouring cloud. The Canon was set to P mode, auto ISO, no filters. Shutter set to rapid fire. I did get quite a few shots of totality but I think the auto ISO setting cranked up the ISO to very high levels causing a quite grainy image, but they were not too bad. Will post these if anyone is interested.

My thanks again for your inspiring comments. Any tips for future attempts from the eclipse chasers are very welcome.

Cheers :grin:

Archived