Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Earthshine surprise.

Baz Pearce

Hi All,

Was up early this morning. Moon was in the South-East just above some mist. Ramping up the gain with the webcam i noticed some detail in the Earthshine. So i stacked up 299 frames in Registx and got this out:-

9percentwithEarthshine.png

1st attempt at such a shot and i'm pleased with it.

Baz.

Even a dozen images to stack would probably be a good start, to be honest. Because it's actually quite easy with APT I tend to take about 120, throw away any obviously bad ones, let Registax grade the rest and stack the best 5%, or fewer if considerably more than half make the 5% cut-off.

James

Thanks for the complements guys. It's pretty noisy as i knew it would be, but i think i got on the best side of the trade-off.

Now the Sun is setting in range of my balcony, i'll be able to go for a similar new Moon stack. I can only see East to WSW across the South.

If i'm doing a closeup i normally do a good long 1500-2000 frame capture and save around 500 frames, but that's probably overkill lol. Now i've improved my tracking and scope balance, i don't think i need that many anymore. I'm thinking in between 100-200 so i have plenty of options with the amount of wavelets.

Baz.

Indeed, nice work!

Would it be possible to get the new moon with just earthshine? You wouldn't have to worry about the extremes of lighting then.

That would be a fantastic shot if anyone could pull it off. I suppose the Aussies would get a great chance of that tomorrow morning during the total eclipse. My best chance will probably be a day, maybe 2 after just after Sunset. Not looking likely this month with the forecast though. :sad:

Baz.

Im sure i read a article somewhere by a guy on the East Coast of USA. And the actual line between new moon and like a hairline of the moon being visible was during the evening, and him and a group were seeing how soon after the new moon, the Moon could be seen.

Cant find the page again though, woulda liked to see how that turned out.

Archived