Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p focusser upgrade

I'm considering buying this low profile dual speed Crawford focusser for my skyliner 200p. This would be my final upgrade before I upgrade the scope itself in a few years time but is it a worthwhile one. I'm obviously not into ap at the moment but want to get the most I can out of the equipment I have so would appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences. Thanks folks

Steve

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/skywatcher-dual-speed-low-profile-1252-inch-crayford-focuser.html

Thats the focuser i put on my 300p Steve.I chose this one because i wanted to use my DSLR to take single shots of the moon and i couldn't achieve focus any other way.If you just want a good quality dual speed crayford this might be a better choice and should bolt straight onto your ota.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Hi Steve, that's a nice focuser in that link. But what is it about the focuser you have that you don't like ?

If there is focuser tube slop or backlash, that can often be fixed with a bit of DIY. I've sorted several of these. Some just needed adjusting, a couple needed packing along the drawtube with some self adhesive Teflon tape. (It is thcker than PTFE plumber's tape)

If you think the tape could help, just PM me your address, and I'll pop some in the post, no charge.

Regards, Ed.

Steve, I upgraded to the low profile dual speed Crawford focuser and discovered I needed to buy a 35mm extender to get anything in focused. On the whole I like the focuser and would recommend it, but as I'm not into photography i'm not too sure if I did it again if I would have gone for the skywatcher version instead :huh:

Thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback, I did wonder about the extension tube. Hmmm will have to give this a little more thought.Ed there's nothing actually wrong with the stock version on the ota I have I was just hoping to improve on it....if its not going to be an improvement perhaps ill hold on for he new scope upgrade.

Thanks folks

I bought the same focuser myself (that you linked in the top post there, the FLO crayford). I bought an old second hand blue tube 200p, and this dual-speed focuser required holes to be drilled in the tube as it wouldn't align where the old focuser was. Fortunately for me, the holes were pre-drilled in my second hand tube. If you have a newer 200p model this should just let you swap it in directly with no faffing around.

I use it for AP with both webcam and my DSLR - I don't have any problems with focusing with my eyepieces either. It's not clear from the picture on FLO but the adjusting screws on the far side of the drawtube is to hold the 1.25" adaptor in place, and the one on the near side lets you extend out the drawtube for your eyepieces to work nicely.

If there is focuser tube slop or backlash, that can often be fixed with a bit of DIY. I've sorted several of these. Some just needed adjusting, a couple needed packing along the drawtube with some self adhesive Teflon tape. (It is thcker than PTFE plumber's tape)

Steve,

I've owned one of these and I'd look elsewher and save yourself a lot of hassle. This focuser cost me time and frustration beyond measure.

As mentioned, the inner extension tube is a sloppy fit and it is held by a single screw. How anyone thought this was a good engineering solution for phtograohy - where collimation accuracy is essential - I have no idea. I ended up packing the extension tube so that it would not move at all! I then collimated the scope and bought myself a family of extension tubes 25mm, 40mm and 50mm. All in all, a right pain in the neck.

I ended up with a Moonlite but I'd look at the Baader Steeltrack which costs less and many rate it above the Moonlite.

Good luck,

I have a Revelation, an Antares and have used the low profile SW mentioned and can confirm that the Baader is a large step up even for visual use. for imaging I'd imagine it would be even more beneficial. I may be wrong but check with Steve at FLO if the Baader will swap onto the existing SW base plate. it might just do?

I'm considering buying this low profile dual speed Crawford focusser for my skyliner 200p. This would be my final upgrade before I upgrade the scope itself in a few years time but is it a worthwhile one. I'm obviously not into ap at the moment but want to get the most I can out of the equipment I have so would appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences.

I think that's the one I have on my dob. Certainly looks very similar. I have no problems with it.

James

I use it for AP with both webcam and my DSLR - I don't have any problems with focusing with my eyepieces either. It's not clear from the picture on FLO but the adjusting screws on the far side of the drawtube is to hold the 1.25" adaptor in place, and the one on the near side lets you extend out the drawtube for your eyepieces to work nicely.

Yes, that's not at all obvious initially. Took me a little while to realise :)

James

Archived