if the Televue Ethos is so good......

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They aren't always suitable for everyone - they don't quite have enough eye relief to be comfortable with glasses. They are often sold if someone needs the money for non-astro related things (Rent, Mortgage, Gas, Electricity etc.), or sold if someone is imaging and needs the cash. Just like telescopes, no one eyepiece does it all to the best it can be done.

I think theres alot of hype over Ethos, yep amazing EP's but compare the views with a Delos and the only difference you'll see is that huge 100˚ FoV which not everyone likes, well that was the reason that I sold my Ethos anyway.

I think its the marmite factor to.

I have viewed through a couple and whilst I enjoy them for a while I personally find the view a bit to massive. I think they give me space sickness :). They are a little like dipping your head in, they kinda fill every available space in your brain.

I'm with Paul - just can't bring myself to sell stuff. A fellow member who's selling up just sold me a couple of Naglers to complete my TV collection - he's changing to archery lol. TV stuff is top class though - most only get flogged if the owner is giving up astronomy or needs the cash for something else :)

I'm with Paul - just can't bring myself to sell stuff. A fellow member who's selling up just sold me a couple of Naglers to complete my TV collection - he's changing to archery lol. TV stuff is top class though - most only get flogged if the owner is giving up astronomy or needs the cash for something else :)

If he wants the latest fangled stuff for archery, he will be spending the same cash as he did on astronomy.

But on a budget...........it can be done for far less.

I think to date, that my total investment in archery is about 1-1.5k (in about 20 yrs). I bought a 2nd hand recurve bow and about 12 new arrows, a sight for the scope and a few other bits and bobs.

Compare that to about 10K for astronomy in the last 7 yrs.

P.S.~~~I should point out that over the 7 yrs of buying astro gear, i have also done it on a budget apart from the purchase of my 8SE and Hyperion Zoom which were both pretty costly.

Could not afford an Ethos so went for the 14mm 100° Explore Scientific, with which I am well pleased. My friend is brining me some 82° ES in December, so if the quality and build are as good, I shall herd my Hyperions to market :)

John.

Hype very often, people just buy the 'latest' but of course its only the 'latest' for a year or so and then some new 'must have' appears. The Delos maybe ....in a year or so people will be flogging those for the latest 'cant do without it', 'mind bending view', 'spacewalk like view' eyepiece.

I'd bet a goodly portion of this stuff is never used much. People often feel they have to have the very best even though they only started in astro last week and couldnt tell the difference between a coke bottle and a Zeiss. Nothing wrong with that by the way

, keeps the manufacturers churning it out and the credit cards happy and give employment to people. Then the newby with a big wallet finds out its cloudy a lot, the views, even with a megebucks EP arent much like Hubble and hey ho off they go onto powerboating or midget throwing or whetever the next fad is Its good news for thems with sense who can wait and pick up the bargains later on or at least know what it is they really want heh heh heh

The 100' FOV kick might have worn off a bit as well.....some people arent that keen on it. I'm not...wouldnt buy any more 100' EPs and I'd sell the one I have if it wouldnt cause disharmony.

Course with the economic situation a lot of this kit is going to find itself up for sale as people find paying the mortgage and buying food becaomes a higher priority.

There's a lot of things I'd sell before my TVues like the shirt off my back. Got more now but can't edit sig without a lot of faffing about.

At least you can shoot arrows in the rain and at more sociable hours.

Dave

There's a lot of things I'd sell before my TVues like the shirt off my back. Got more now but can't edit sig without a lot of faffing about.

At least you can shoot arrows in the rain and at more sociable hours.

Dave

The only thing to be weary of when shooting arrows, is the wind direction.

Why are there so many for sale?seems theres loads that people have used a few times then decide to get rid or is it just profitable to buy them from the US then sell them over here?

When you try to average the cost per session they are quite expensive. I've trimmed my collection down to the essential 2 Ethos and a barlow.

Last year I sold a 31mm T5 nagler to fund some canon L lenses and recently I postponed getting a 16" dob and got a US made fender bass and a stratocaster for a bit less. In just a few months those have seen more use then all my astro gear over 3 years...

Don't complain. The availability of premium kit second hand is a good thing! I suspect that there are a small number of people for whom buying premium gear is the buzz. They sell it to repeat the buzz elsewhere. Whatever one might think of their state of mind or their values they do the rest of us a favour. If you go on the trail of really top level astro gear you'll meet them. A friend went to buy a used Takahashi and found the vendor's home awash with Tak products. He wasn't a dealer, he was an addict! I've just bought some Leica bins which the original owner registered in 2002 and clearly never again took out of their box. The tickets were still on all the bits and bobs untouched. I guess he was happy and now I'm happy. Hey, what's the problem?

Olly

Archived