Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

I'll test it tomorrow - I want good light to take out all those tiny screws to put it in a working camera. With hundreds of G of shock applied to it the result will be interesting :D

If it doesn't work I might just break the glass and attack the insides - maybe attack it with chemicals and see what happens. We already know the effect of grinding it down.

erm I'm starting to think you might be flogging a dead horse Gina? "A" for effort though and if it still works its a testiment to Canons build quality! :D

I've been thinking that myself :D

I simply couldn't contain myself and took the back off my spare 1100D, with the aid of my ring light magnifier, saving the screws onto double sided sticky tape attached to a sheet of paper. Disconnected it's own sensor and connected the test sensor. The result was entirely white frames. I've only viewed the results on the camera screen and the camera was on fully automatic mode. I think I need to connect the camera to computer and run live view with the back completely off (not connected to the main board). Then I can alter exposure easily without juggling camera, test sensor etc. taking great care to prevent anything shorting out. I've put the camera back to it's own sensor now and tested it with a lens - all working fine.

I just tried some paint stripper on a webcam and it cleaned the bayer layer off perfectly in seconds and left a perfectly clean surface. I fell the canon sensor won't be so willing to play ball. Good news for webcam imagers though. Now i need a dead camera to test it with or i might do a little test on the sensor i have alread butchered but just do it in a corner.

• Like 1

I just tried some paint stripper on a webcam and it cleaned the bayer layer off perfectly in seconds and left a perfectly clean surface. I fell the canon sensor won't be so willing to play ball. Good news for webcam imagers though. Now i need a dead camera to test it with or i might do a little test on the sensor i have alread butchered but just do it in a corner.

Good :)

Paint stipper does not work on the Canon 1000d sensor, it does nothing at all.

Oh dear - not good :(

Thank you for posting the results and for doing the tests :)

Edited by Gina

I might try this on my webcam guide cam!

I've brought my netbook indoors and connected up my spare camera. Set to live view and checked first with it's own sensor and then swapped to the test sensor - with a strip of red insulation tape over one half of the sensor area to provide a crude image.

Guess what??? IT WORKS! :) After all that torture - amazing!!

• Like 1

Took a grindstone to the glass but it's quite thick - over half a mm - and took quite a lot of grinding through. Having got through it in one place at the side of the sensor away from the tiny gold wires I tried getting a craft knife under the glass. It broke away in pieces. I carefully broke away most of it staying clear of the fine wires. Here is the result photo.

post-13131-0-27730400-1351686573_thumb.j