Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

I think the method of polishing/grinding off the CFA needs refining though ..

post-20192-0-75721500-1351614614_thumb.j

Yip i never said it was pefect. My problem was i had only ever tried it with a webcam sensor and it came off very even down to a hard layer and stopped. There was only one way to do it and that was to try lol. I plan on getting some damaged cameras and making a little mill of sorts.

I see - maybe I'll try another sensor but it could be that Canon have used a different glue for the 1100D.

have you tried all the corners. One corner didn't want to work with mine and chipped a little bit. I had the metal around the sensor to lever it off with.

Took the sensor out of the other non-working camera and the glass is just as well fixed on. I even tried my hot air gun and heated the sensor until it was too hot to touch - probably not hot enough though.

have you tried all the corners. One corner didn't want to work with mine and chipped a little bit. I had the metal around the sensor to lever it off with.

I've tried all the corners and sides and all I've managed to do is chip off slithers of glass - the adhesive appears to be stronger than glass.

Seems to me that unless anyone has any ideas as to how I can remove the glass without destroying the sensor, I'm stuck and will very very reluctantly have to abandon this project :( If this is the case I'm gutted - I had my heart set on this :( I think the only way to remove the glass would be to break it but with those extremely fine gold wires I think this is pretty much doomed.

I recon it might be an epoxy resin because they are used a lot with electrical components and PCB's, so I've just Googled the melting point of epoxy resin and it came up with 180-200C although 120C might loosen it?

Edit: although wouldn't heating the whole assembly up to 120C damage it in any way?

Edit again: found some more figures, if it is an epoxy its strength wont degrade until 177C.

Edited by starfox

I thought of epoxy resin but it seems harder than that. It turns white when scraped with the sharp point of a Stanley knife or that might be powdered glass. Here's another couple of photos after attack with hammer and chisel :-

post-13131-0-12614300-1351629967_thumb.jpost-13131-0-71287800-1351629970_thumb.j

Thinking about temperature and not wishing the "cook" the whole thing, I attacked it with a soldering iron - absolutely no effect! Epoxy normally softens and burns with a soldering iron. These sensors are mighty tough!! :eek:

Makes you wonder why people are so paranoid about cleaning them in case they damage them!

Yes, the front is glass and hard as glass as a result :D Only an abrasive cleaner would hurt it but I don't think many astronomers would consider using Ajax or Vim on their glass :D