NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 Balcony style from sofa...

perfrej

Hi all!

Remote is cool!

This was shot under not so good conditions from my automated balcony setup while I visited a friend, 650 km away from said balcony.

22 x 5m Lum

18 x 5m R

14 x 5m G

15 x 5m B

Tak FSQ106EDXIII, SX wheel, Baader filters, SBIG ST-8300M on an unguided 10Micron GM2000HPS - as usual ;-)

Processed in PI. It needs some more data to get to the fainter arms, I think. Will get it soon (or not depending on the weather).

Better res here: http://filer.frejval.../M33_LRGB_3.jpg

/per

M33_LRGB_3_800.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great job! Seriously. How hard is the LP in Saltsjöbaden? It feels like it should be hard to get something in the northwest over Stockholm, but I guess east over Värmdö and south and southeast over the sea should be pretty decent?

Oh, Olly, we do enjoy the winters! I love going for a nice ice skating run, preferably a couple of miles with no wind, and I do love the sound of snow under the car tyres. I just don't want to sit there and "enjoy" the climate waiting for a sub to come in...

As for the seeing conditions... We're 14 km from the dead center of Stockholm, so yeah, there is some light pollution ;)

/p

Oh, Olly, we do enjoy the winters! I love going for a nice ice skating run, preferably a couple of miles with no wind, and I do love the sound of snow under the car tyres. I just don't want to sit there and "enjoy" the climate waiting for a sub to come in...

As for the seeing conditions... We're 14 km from the dead center of Stockholm, so yeah, there is some light pollution ;)

/p

Wow, I didn't realize you were so close to Stockholm. It doesn't look that way in pics Ive seen of your setup so that image is quite something.

Olly

Thanks again!

I am lucky enough to be extremely far from Stockholm in all ways but the actual distance. There is a large natural reserve forest separating us and Saltsjöbaden is "the end of the line", ending by the water. I turned on NASA's light pollution dataset in Google Earth and the result is below. It is pretty bad, but not as bad as a "normal" 14 km from the center of a city with 1.2 million population. Uppsala has a sharper profile as it lacks suburbs, so there it would all depend on how far out you are.

I find narrow band imaging being absolutely no problem at all from this location, but LRGB is a totally different story and very, very sensitive to the conditions at the time of capture. Sometimes you luck out and the everything is cool, sometimes you don't. I try to stay really close to Zenith and select targets to a large extent on that parameter. I am still a newbie in terms of processing and sometimes I find myself hopelessly lost and in need of help from someone experienced. You could say that my processing is very uneven and that I have yet to develop a standard way of doing things. As it is now, I tend to take a different approach to every new target, in itself not a bad idea but given my lack of experience it can turn either way. This M33 was a "slam-dunk" that I simply got right on the first try and I am very proud of it ;)

All the best,

Per

lp.png

Archived